Xenix???

edited January 2005 in Site Issues
I would love to get my hands on a copy of Xenix, I want to see if MS was able to write a unix that was stable lol. Also I can add it to my collection.

Comments

• Wow, MS wrote a copy of Unix.

I thought the closest thing to Unix was OS\2, but then again IBM did hald the work most likely. But thats ALOT different.
  • Yeah. I'd like to see this Xenix, too. What year was it developed?
  • I have many copies of XENIX, actually that was going to be the next major WinWorld update!

The only problem is, how to image this disks? WinImage wont take it, I don't think.

Any suggestions and you'll have your XENIX (And ABW UNIX) in no time!

-Q
  • Why won't Win Image take them? What media are they on?
  • WinImage wont work probably because it cant read the disk format and so wont Image them.

-Q
  • Heres a idea, if I can get a hold of the copies I can use one of my many unix systems and make disk images since the Xeinx is a unix based OS and probly uses a unix floppy file system.

I did some research on it and it was made before DOS, It was a rip off from AT&T Unix (AKA BSD).
  • Disk images with WHAT?

And will Windows usrs be able to read/use them (THe images)?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I have many copies of XENIX, actually that was going to be the next major WinWorld update!

The only problem is, how to image this disks? WinImage wont take it, I don't think.

Any suggestions and you'll have your XENIX (And ABW UNIX) in no time!

-Q

I can make disk images in linux with a simple little tool that comes with Fedora.
  • Ack. Before DOS and a rip off of BSD? Whoa. Scary. I guess I'm still in.
  • If it was designed for the X86 Platform, itll most likely need a real 8086 or 8088.

Could Linux image the floppys or you need like BSD,etc.
  • It was made for a 8086 and a 8088 but I bet it can run on a 386 or even a 486. It seems to be widely used today just customly updated with the latest BSD kernel.

Have to remember that BSD is a type of Unix and linux if setup right can read all sorts of file systems.
  • well, you find a way to get xenix to us, and tell us what floppy format it will need, and I can give it a shot. I have access to 386 easily, and next week and on I can get to a 286 and some lower ones.
  • I got an 8088 somewhere, I could try it.
  • Right, but how will a WINDOWS user uncompress/write the image? What's the tool named?

-Q
  • I have a 8086 and a 8088 in my garage somewhere.

I think the tool is called makraw or makeraw. Need to reinstall fedora and find out.
  • everyone has an 8088, we get them and thorw them somewhere and discover them like a year later.

Sounds cool. Hopefully its for 128K, 260K or 720K.
  • yes true... I've downloaded OS/2 before...and the image extension was something I have never seen before. It was .w20 I think and NOTHING I could find was able to open it... Well, someone try imaging them as many ways as they can, and I'll see if I can find a way to open them....
  • did you get that off me? I gotta see about how to write mine. I wanna do v2.1X. And possibly some like 1.0-2.0.

wasnt OS\2 v2.0 the first true 32-bit version?
  • wasnt it 95 or nt the first true 32 bit, os/2 came a little after
  • NT 3.1 was the first True 32-bit WINDOWS Operation System. Windows 95 was like 3 years later and its just a GUI. OS\2 2.0 was around 1990, 2.1X was around 92.
  • IBMwarpster, I don't want anything from you lol, it will be infected with parite and I'll just have to delete it....
  • Alright, post when you've got it. I have the Xenixes...

-Q
  • IBMwarpster, I don't want anything from you lol, it will be infected with parite and I'll just have to delete it....

No, I fixed that.
  • Oh...well anyways, Q what versions of Xenix do you have?
  • A t0n of SCO ones.

-Q
  • First versions of OS/2 were not 32Bit, they were optimized to use on 286s...

That were most widely spreaden computers of that time! (1988)
  • heh..forgot all about this thread. Yeah anyone find a way to get xenix up?
  • I have the diskette files, the only problem is that WinImage doesn't like them. Will RAWWRITE work for you ppls?

-Q
  • I think I have a PC with Xenix on it. Wasn't that what I had on that IBM SCSI PC, Q?
  • Um, I don't remember, what were the details?

-Q