Favourite NT Version

edited June 2004 in Software
What is everyone's favourite NT version?

Mine is NT 3.51 with SP5

Program Manager! All Usefull and NO Bloat!

Comments

• I like all the 2000 Editions.... XP <b>Pro</b> is nice too, but sometimes you just can't beat 2000.
  • Overall I like Windows NT 4.0 (workstation)... it had the original 95 interface (uncluttered, fast) but the OS was actually good (and, it was actually an OS!)

Got it running on my web server (Pentium MMX 200MHz), boots up lightling fast! Gotta love those old 16-colour icons ::D
  • O! O!

SO tough (You left out NT 5.1 and 5.2!)!

I'm on 2000 now and love it, but it;s bloated with IE!

I've never used NT 4.

NT 3.1 is great, but it has some problems.

NT 3.5x is really kewl, NewShell is kinda fun.

So, NT 5, but I jsut can't ignore the 3.xxs

-Q
  • I like all the 2000 Editions.... XP <b>Pro</b> is nice too, but sometimes you just can't beat 2000.

yep, 2k is hard to beat, its the only windows i use on my windows boxes (well, i use nt 4 on my laptop)

plus, i <b>own</b> a <b>legal</b> copy of win2k pro!
  • Wow! Hats off to you! Seriously!
  • Dr. Ping wrote:
    plus, i <b>own</b> a <b>legal</b> copy of win2k pro!

the cd is gay though, the actuall disc, with that little guy and the sky and the windows flag. but the thing being a hollogram is cool though
  • I forgot to click the add poll option button before submitting. It was supposed to have NT 5.1 Oh well.
  • Or NT 5.2, which I may be on soon.

-Q
  • I must say, it's hard to choose.

I like the simpleness of NT4 and the fact that it works!

I like 2000 because of its advanced features and the fact that it's Microsoft's newest WORKING server OS.

I like XP because of its userability but I hate it right now, I keep getting the blue screen of death "Kernel Stack Inpage Error"

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?
  • It IS hard, not like 'Favourite Windows Classic', that's kindof easy.

-Q
  • Like them all

NT 3.51 is so classic and stable

NT4 is just GREAT

NT5 is just one of the greatest, close to XP

NT5.1 is REALLY nice, but Im not calling it the best.
  • I perfer Win2k, WinNT4 was missing lots of useful stuff and I like to beable to run Server software and video games on one OS instead of dual boothing.
  • Yea, but for the best OS, it all depends on the hardware.

I do like 2000 alot, but also Xp is alot good too. Id say those are the top best.
  • I agree. 2000 and XP are some of the best. I'm not sure about 2003, but will try it soon. Hope drivers aren't a problem with it.
  • I'm running it was a Workstation at the moment. So far, it's quite responsive. I'm a bit impressed.

I haven't tortured it yet.. But will soon.
  • For modern use, I have to say Windows XP and 2000.

Classic - Windows NT 3.51 all the way.
  • Ahhhh NT4 on the Compaq Armada M500! I thought it was the best thing ever!
  • You gotta admit though, sometimes NT OS can be bitches to work with. Specially when sometihng goes wrong - such as a BSOD once you turn on the PC and it automatically shuts down.

Ahh a few bad times with NT. :mad:
  • Im leaning towards NT4 on my MMX after 2000 being a bit too much, ME sucks, Im still testing 98SE, but I need USB.
  • NT has it's fun spots, but there are times when 9x jsut rules any NT.

-Q

PS. Yea, yea, 9x has it's share of problems.
  • NT4 has the stability, 9.x has the old-game-compatibility.
  • i have to say NT 5, i remember me using 98 all the time and thought it was the best, then i discovered 2000 (somewhere in my dads closet, he had a copy from his friend and never used it) i installed and fell in love no bsod or other gay shit
  • LOL, try NT 5.1.

And I did put 98SE on that box. Runs great.
  • Naaa. Try NT 5.2.
  • NT 5.2 IS NT 5.1.....sort of. Theres not that much of a difference.
  • I like Windows NT 5 and 5.1. NT 4 is ok.
  • I can choose! Maby NT 3.X isnt the best, the rest are the best.
  • NT 3.51
    The best Microsoft ever had.
    I wish they had pushed this one on every desktop in '95; in stead of that dead-end bloat-ware and bsod.
  • I must say, NT 5 is the one for me. I used to run NT 4 on my Pentium, but the version I had was loaded with bugs. I upgraded the memory and installed 2000, never been happer!!

By the way, just to clear something up.
    NT 5.1 is XP,
    is NT 5.2 Server 2003
    and NT 6.0 Longhorn?
  • Something to that effect.

-Q