Laptop RAM

edited December 1969 in Hardware
What kind of RAM do laptops use?

Obviosuly it can't be the typical 148-pin DIMM that desktops use, but are they the 72-pin SIMM that older desktops used?

Comments

• no, some use different ones, and depends on the media (SDRAM, DDRRAM, etc.)

ANd some desktops use 168-pin and there are many other pin cofigurations.
  • Note: I was given a stick of 32 MB ram that had the same pin config as my ThinkPad's RAM. But because the RAM goes in an expansion card, the RAM from school was a bit too tall. I decided to grind it down using an electric nail file. It didn't work!

I'm starting to think it was the wrong kind, because I was able to jam it in before I ground it and it wasn't detected. I think it must use a special kind or something.
  • I think they used EDO, too lazy to count the pins. look on buymemory.com.....they should have the pinconfig. but dont buy off there, its a ripoff and for n00bs. Its for dumb people who think that IBM and Dell use a different type of RAM.

needs to be the same speed (some mainboards let you overlcock RAM, mine gives me an error), the same type (EDO, SDRAM, DDR, ETC.) and the same pinconfig. Parity is another factor that plays.
  • Most use SODIMMs (Small OUtline DIMMs), they com in 168 and 144 pin packages, I believe.

-Q
  • From what Ive seen, theyre all different...
  • Yes, older laptops use diffrent sizes but now a day they use SODIM.
  • older ones look like a 72-pin DIMM cut in half.
  • I think they used EDO, too lazy to count the pins. look on buymemory.com.....they should have the pinconfig. but dont buy off there, its a ripoff and for n00bs. Its for dumb people who think that IBM and Dell use a different type of RAM.

needs to be the same speed (some mainboards let you overlcock RAM, mine gives me an error), the same type (EDO, SDRAM, DDR, ETC.) and the same pinconfig. Parity is another factor that plays.

haha back in 02 I ordered two 64 MB modules for my AST Ascentia M Laptop and it came out to be 100 -something dollers. I think it might be EDO ram.

thanks for the help.
  • Well, for laptops, its ok becuase they all use different kinds sometimes.

128M for $100.....kinda bad, but where else you gonna get it.
  • Last time I was at the computer show some guy had a box full of laptop memory that was from 8MB to 128MB, diffrent sizes and types. The great part was they were only 10 bucks a stick.
  • lol, eBay is good. too.

and buymemory does suck, I looked at my laptop;s RAM and it was like $80 for a 32MB stick.
  • Ahh parity, remember that FIsh?

-Q
  • My memory had a party without inviting me -_-
  • 100 bucks, now im not buying memory for my lapotp!

my laptop aint even worth that much! lol