Mandrake 10

edited October 2004 in Software
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Mandrake 10 supports the VIA KT600 Chipset, and recognized my SATA controller :D finally found a distro that works on my machine... i wish it wasn't mandrake though... too user friendly for me...

Comments

• I love Mandrake Linux!!! Its great. It reconized my FX 5200 card as a Geforce 4 TI, when xp calls it a standard vga controller with 16 colors.
  • Ah, eventually you guys will outgrow mandrake and move on to bigger, faster, better distros.

But seriously mandrake was great, for beginners tho.
  • Topher wrote:
    Ah, eventually you guys will outgrow mandrake and move on to bigger, faster, better distros.

What distro do you recommend I move on to?
  • Topher wrote:
    Ah, eventually you guys will outgrow mandrake and move on to bigger, faster, better distros.

What distro do you recommend I move on to?

got the curage to go to slackware or freebsd?
  • Topher wrote:
    got the curage to go to slackware or freebsd?

I'll give Slackware a try in VMware.
  • You can always try this trick. Find a distro of your choice, even if it doesn't support your hardware.

On a windows PC download your distro.
    Now download and install WinISO.
    Download the latest kernel like 2.6.
    Open the ISO with WinISO and copy the tarball to the image and save it.
    Burn it to a CD and then boot the PC. (Note you will need a IDE HD for this)
    Install Linux as useal then un compress the kernel tarball from the CD to /usr/source/linux-2.6
    Compile the kernel but enable everything. Edit your bootloader to use the new kernel and test it out. If it works all to plan and if you want to use SATA then partition the SATA drive in cfdisk and copy the whole IDE drive to the new SATA drive and reinstall your bootloader.

Or if you have skill you can do this up to the point of copying the kernel but to a CD and then partition your SATA drive and replace the default kernel on the distro CD with the new kernel and boot from the CD again and install.
  • How lucky you guys! I can't get it in Russia! It's strange.
  • cant get what?
  • I can't get Mandrake Linux... only stupidly russificated versions of it called ALTLinux.
  • You mean you can't download it, or you can't get Russian language versions?

-Q
  • Thanks God, I don't need a Russian version.
    I cannot buy it for $2 in our \/\/areZ CD-Shops... I have Mandrake 9.1, AltLinux 2.0, ASPLinux 9.2, Redhat... but it's difficult here to get Mandrake 10. The only choice is to download...
    But not on my 24K...
  • www.cheapbytes.com is a good place to buy distros if you're unfortunate enough to have dial-up.
  • It will be expensive to buy CD's from America... I'd better buy something else for $2...
  • Just download it and download the generic lang pack that converts english into russin.
  • i know that mandrake has built in russian language support
  • The issue is his 24K line that he pays a lot for.
  • downloading mandrake on 24k...

3? disks at 600mb each ouch.... takes long enough on 512k....
  • One thing about Mandrake, its bloated

If you going to go Linux at all [b000] then at least use a less bloated distro such as Slackware.

Slackware is probly the closest youll get to BSD but its still Linux [eew]
  • From what Ive heard, mandrake isnt that great.
  • Fish, Mandrake is the best Linux... don't believe IBM... He just thinks that nothing is better than his *** winxp, and bashes all other OS'es
  • LMAO LMAO

Mandrake is the WORST.

It's meant for n00bs and is really bloated. :-P

Hey, maby thats why your using it? :-)
  • I use andrake, comes with everything right out of the box. Web server, FTP client/server, couple of web browers, and a whole lot more. Now not to bash windows, but i have not seen much: IE as a Broswer, noo, IE as a ftp client nooo

No i am not bashing windows, i am just pointing the good parts of Mandrake
  • What good parts?! Windows has everything out of the box LOL
  • I can think of a few good ones:

mandrak linux comes with a firewall, several window managers, games, web server, FTP client, FTP server, PHP, SQL, Perl, Wine, and whole lot more.

Now as i said berofre and am saying now, i am not trying to bash windows. Just windows does not have a good web server, FTP server, PHP support, SQL support, and the ability to run some linux apps with out getting more stuff for linux.

Linux has some windows apps.
  • Becuase Windows is a desktop OS.

Windows SERVER Operating System use IIS which...sucks lol

So you just get Apache :-)
  • But the point is mandrake=simple, so simple=everything out of box.
  • and best of all, mandrake is legally free, but newer windows arent
  • thats the good thing about most linuxes/unixes
  • See, why is that good? You gotta download Linux, You gotta download Windows. The only thing about that is legalness. Who fucken cares? :-P
  • No one cares, really. The only thing Linux is far better in performance... and bad side is that there are not much software for Linux.