another Wierd Problem... MBR

2»

Comments

• I didnt have shit like that on hand and my idea was funner
  • some guy could be like:

"Hey! Cool! MS Gave me Windows XP Pro free!!! Cool! That is what i call service!"
  • HeH! I would boot with a Linux disk and run shred /mnt/C -n1025 -uvz before handing it to someone.

-Q
  • what would that do?
  • Overwrite what was mounted @ /mnt/C 1025 times with random data before removing/trunkating them and doing a final 0 sequence overwrite.

-Q
  • ohhh, is that basicly what kill disk does?
  • I have no idea what Kill Disk is, I just use shred.

-Q
  • You mean Zerofull the drive?

That's what Killdrive uses I think
  • This 0s @ the end, before that it writed random stuff and other things.

-Q
  • is that the same as low level formatting?
  • I say to just try running Win Install.
  • to make a standart MBR code running the bootsector of the active partition use coomand

fixmbr

in Windows Recovery Console and
    to make the bootsector of the partition loading NTLoader use command

fixboot c:

that's all!
  • LOL, What I did when I got my 160Gb, I wanted to start fesh on the 80Gb, so I traded it into Radioshack for a new one and before I did, I threw it against the wall to make sure it would never work again so they can't find shit.
    Throwing it against the wall? And you think that will erase your data?
  • HeH, looks like someone remembers more RecovCons commands then I do!

-Q
  • i tried FIXMBR and not the other one, Windows Recovery console cannot find my hard drive windows partition, though it finds my HDD.....
  • No, not FIXMBR, but FIXBOOT.
    You may try to use Paragon HDM.
  • Aww crap, I dont think it is really worth trying, i think i should just reformat, then try and recover my files

I dont think all the stuff I had put on it was "valuable" none of my schoolwork was on there
  • Aww crap, I dont think it is really worth trying, i think i should just reformat, then try and recover my files

I dont think all the stuff I had put on it was "valuable" none of my schoolwork was on there

I believe it goes the other way around: Try to recover files then reformat.
  • Slash wrote:
    No, not FIXMBR, but FIXBOOT.
    You may try to use Paragon HDM.

there are the both command and they are for different needs!!!

the things you tell demostrate you know only MS OSes but no more OSes

FIXBOOT restores the code in the bootsector of the partition loading NTLoader

FIXMBR restores MBR code loading the bootsector of the active partition (for example GRUB can place a different MBR-code wich would load it passing the bootsector of the partition)

prkd_05.gif
  • Oh, well, you're right... i think... Good chart... and useful.