Diskeeper 8.0 Pro

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If you turn on some kind of encrypting on ReiserFS, then you won't be able to unencrypt it without a password. you won't be able to delete a partition...
    The only choice is low level format...
  • Reiser can encrypt itself? I shouldn't be surprised but I never tried that...

I find it hard to beleive that it would be impossible to departition it, unless it encrypts the partition table, which it may do (I don't know).

-Q

PS. Don't be too hard on Slash, he's just repeated what some other "dolt" told him.
  • i should try out all these file systems

w00t? my server is 0% fragmented??? lmao
  • The bios reads the MBR and the MBR tells the bios if there is an active bootable partition.

The NTFS has encryption for files that you select, but I guess you need a program to encrypt whole partitions.
  • No. When I encrypten Reiser partition and tried to delete it with Disk Administrator, I got an error. Same with partition magic.
  • Then it is a corrupted partition table. Nothing can stop it from deleting a partition Slash. you could try FDISK in dos.
  • It gives some kind of error. The only way to delete partition is to use DrakX and enter a password!
    Or, low level format...
  • .......... FDISK will remove any non-dos partition without a problem.
  • Well, try. And prove yourself it won't remove.
    But don't forget to use reiser encryption.
  • It doesnt matter if its encrypted, deleting partitions has nothing to do with that, Ive deleted my encrypted partitions before with no problems.
  • And I got some kind of error....
    Also, when creating such partitions you get a warning: DO NOT TRY TO DELETE THIS PARTITION WITH FDISK!!!
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Deleting a partition = deleting its entry in the table. The computer doesn't give a crap about what's BETWEEN those two sector addresses.
    Nor do bootsector viruses.

So encryption is pretty much just to stop people nearby from spying on you. So in actuality... it's just a way to slow down system speeds.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Deleting a partition = deleting its entry in the table. The computer doesn't give a crap about what's BETWEEN those two sector addresses.
    Nor do bootsector viruses.

So encryption is pretty much just to stop people nearby from spying on you. So in actuality... it's just a way to slow down system speeds.

Exactly, which makes it quite pointless.
  • #1 all filesystems get fragmented. all its natural with partations, if it cant fit changes to the file right after where the orignal is it has no choice but to move it somewhere else on the platter. all fs are designed different so some have more or less fragmantetion.

#2 Fdisk can remove anything cuz even tho the partation is encrypted, the data for that partation in the table is not, its plain text so therefore anything can delete it.

#3 encrypting everything is pointless. Who needs your explorer.exe or your emacs executable encrypted? Loading encrypted files does take more tiem, just use a standalone encryption program (I like cryptext, google it) and encrypt the ind. file.
  • hell.... put the thing in a zip file, password protect it, change the extension, hide it somewhere if your that desperate to hide files from others.
  • the best way to keep information safe is to burn it onto CD and hide that
  • im not planning to be raided by the FBI......
  • not if i hide it in my room lol
  • i dont want to take any pictures, cos i cant find my webcam... lol
  • Gah. Mac OS X has been doing all that stuff for years. Not that its good... Just MS is a bit... slooww... lol
  • I think me means disk encryption. System 10.3 can encrypt usrs home directories, but I never got that to work right ::roll:

And as to the merits of hiding a burned disc from the authorities, since I may do that someday, I'm not going to compromise myself in advance.

-Q