I installed XP on my Celeron 433

Holy cow, I had forgotten how much I like XP. I just installed it on my 433 celeron and it runs great. I think I have everything up to speed now installing all my stuff and whatnot. Man it's good to use XP again.

Comments

• hehe... XPs fun, but its definately gonna be slow on that system if its untouched.

Go to Run, services.msc

Then stop and disable the ones you dont need...

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

That tells you whats safe to stop... It makes Windows run much faster.
  • Yes stop many services. Otherwise....you will have problems with memory and speed.

XP is the greatest OS on Earth.
  • If theres enough cooling in that thing, you could probably get it running at 500MHz...
  • James Babb wrote:
    XP is the greatest OS on Earth.

2003's better...
  • Ooooh, have fun with XP on a slow machine.
    Anyway I think it will worke worse than ever.
  • Slash wrote:
    Ooooh, have fun with XP on a slow machine.
    Anyway I think it will worke worse than ever.

Thats because your a linux zealot whos afraid to use linux :D
  • I dont see what the fuss is about Linux. I tried it and its complete and utter crap. (well thats my opinion anyway) Windows XP forever.

Richard
  • I dont see what the fuss is about Linux. I tried it and its complete and utter crap. (well thats my opinion anyway) Windows XP forever.

Richard

It IS complete utter crap. The only good distro would be SuSE because its SORT OF professionally developed... But it will still never stand up to Windows. Slash just likes to try making everyone get rid of XP because he has a bad computer.

Fast, Stable and Reliable.
    3 Words to Describe Windows XP with SP2

Exactly. Right now, Windows XP SP2 is probably the most secure, stable, fast OS on the market, especially with the firewall blocking worms :D
  • Wooohoo Fish agrees with me about XP (bounce)

Richard (Beginning to see the light of firefox)
  • Wooohoo Fish agrees with me about XP (bounce)

Richard (Beginning to see the light of firefox)

Firefox > *

Except the default theme SUCKS, I dont know why they stopped using Qute as it.... I always set mine back to Qute, get the AdBlock extension, and User Agent Switcher (so I can pretend to have IE on sites that want it :))
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Heh... just cannot pretend how XP can be a secure OS... Do you know how windows-xpee was written? They took some monkeys from the zoo and then taught them to press keys... :)
    Haha, that was a joke. Actually, XP never was a secure OS. It can be easier to use, sometimes it can be EVEN fast, but it will NEVER be secure! I can hack my admin's password @ school in a few seconds!! SO YOU THINK IT'S SECURE? MY A$$!!!
  • Uhh... if theres a firewalled XP system with a 17 digit password thats completely random like "slkj4lkj3p4jl3h3" then theres no way your going to guess it. And even brute forcing it wont work, because terminal services only allows so many tries... Someone failed at getting in my system not long ago....
  • Slash wrote:
    I can hack my admin's password @ school in a few seconds!! SO YOU THINK IT'S SECURE? MY A$$!!!

that doesnt have much to do with XP, thats the person who set up the computer in the first place
  • Yeah. You forget your password in xp and dont have a password recovery disk or access to the admin acount you are screwed.

Slash I dont see what you find good about Linux. It is utter rubbish and runs hardly any of the programs out there. On viewing the hard drive contents after installing redhat on a test pc it was a mess. Oh and you think Linux is secure against windows. The reason we dont hear anything about Linux hacks/viruses is hardly anyone uses it to give a flying hoot about it.
    So give up using that rubbishy OS and admit defeat and start using XP as thats the way forward.

Anyway how do you go about overclocking a CPU as i have a pentium 2 running at 400 MHZ. It has this Speedeasy CPU thingamy in the bios settings that allowes selections of different speeds but it doesnt appear to overclock it.

Richard
  • Yeah. You forget your password in xp and dont have a password recovery disk or access to the admin acount you are screwed.

Slash I dont see what you find good about Linux. It is utter rubbish and runs hardly any of the programs out there. On viewing the hard drive contents after installing redhat on a test pc it was a mess. Oh and you think Linux is secure against windows. The reason we dont hear anything about Linux hacks/viruses is hardly anyone uses it to give a flying hoot about it.
    So give up using that rubbishy OS and admit defeat and start using XP as thats the way forward.

Anyway how do you go about overclocking a CPU as i have a pentium 2 running at 400 MHZ. It has this Speedeasy CPU thingamy in the bios settings that allowes selections of different speeds but it doesnt appear to overclock it.

Richard

Raise the FSB some, change the multiplier, or if yours (like mine) has a MHz selection, just change that LOL. Then it runs faster than its supposed to... as long as it doesnt get too hot its fine.
  • How would i detect it running faster as when i do change it. The processor clock speed on startup and the speed shown on the system properties in Win XP still says 400MHz.

Thanks
    Richard
  • Hmm.. what did you change? Maybe yours is somehow locked?
  • In the Bios Settings there is a selection called SpeedEasy CPU. I go into that and change the Setting from 400MHZ to 500MHZ. I then save and reboot. But the speed doesnt change.

Richard
  • Is there anything thats keeping it from running too fast? Some kind of safety thing at all? I havent really overclocked on Intel systems...
  • I dont think so. I'll take a look and get back to you.

Richard
  • i tried to overclock my server by telling it there was a 266MHz CPU in it, it beeped furiously at me when i rebooted, im assuming it doesnt like to be overclcoked lol
  • try cpuz from www.cpuid.com Although the system may still report the same speed, this program will give you the actual speed and a few other useful bits of info.
  • Wanna look at... how you said??/
    WTF is Security Focus?
  • Thanks for the link. I found that site a bit useful.