On the good ship, NTFS...

QQ
edited October 2004 in Software
So on BlacIII, there's a 160GiB HD, and Windows ONLY let me used NTFS. So now I'm stuck on NTFS and having to sound it out...

So far, I havn't found much of interest out. I'll be reporting as I come across things. Sofar the most interesting thing I've found is the traffic signal buissiness.

Anyone else know anything of interest, or to watch out for?

-Q

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I asked for information and help, not sarcastic attempts at "ownage" (For lack of a better term).

If you don't have something helpfull, then I probably don't need to hear it.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    personal play fantasies

Come again? How is the NTFS Disk Quota tab icon a "personal play fantasy" ?
    Tomchu wrote:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate (DWORD) => 1

And that does... (Yes I know it disables the Last Access Update, but why do it? What is gained from that?)
    Tomchu wrote:
    2. Run a directory consolidation with Diskeeper.
    3. Defragment.

Pfft, did those DAYS ago...
    Tomchu wrote:
    4. Don't play with your file access permissions. You'll break something, I guarantee it.

IYSS...

-Q
  • I find some imagination to be a healthy offest to some of the annoyances of computing.

Alright, if I remember I'll do that next time I'm @ BlacIII.

-Q
  • Oohh... Q, you mean you've used FAT32 on your previous PC?
    How can you do that? It's so bad...
  • I liked FAT32 untill I realized that I had TONS of nero related files using 50MB space, all because of the cluster size. I converted to NTFS, now those files are using like.... 500KB. It DEFINATELY defrags and reads / writes better, and doesnt get as fragmented... And loading programs is FAR faster on NTFS than FAT32... and since I NEVER need to use a bootdisk anymore, I see no point in using FAT32... Sure, if I were still on a 200MHz that gets problems monthly, I'd use FAT32... but Ive moved beyond that and dont need to use DOS anymore.

And whats wrong with Q city? Its just a creative way of describing your computer setup. Learn to use both sides of your brain, Tom. :P
  • when i reformat my laptop im gonna leave it as FAT32 :P too annoying when it refuses to start like it did this time......
  • I didn't like NTFS cause I cannot get access from DOS.
    But now, with PE Builder, that is not a problem.
  • I'm just a "Fuddy-duddy" when it comes to alot of things. I still like FAT and DOS access. Also, many other OSes can read/write to it, whereas NTFS access ins't that highly developed as FAT has. Altought I may use NTFS on the C drive and keep FAT only on the D drive, that I'd want more-or-less universal access with.

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    I didn't like NTFS cause I cannot get access from DOS.
    But now, with PE Builder, that is not a problem.
    PE builder is fine. But I always have at least two fat 32
    partitions under 8 gigs each so not a lot of wasted space.
    You can put anything there you might want to access some
    other way. I've never had a hard disk that big but I'd never
    dream of making it one large partition.
    The only thing I can suggest is use partitions.
    Thump
  • I kinda dont like ntfs because i notice my disk is constanly going, and also linux or freebsd cannot mount the partitions correctly (and they have to since i have 1 partition that has a size of 120GB)
  • but i need to write to that partition. it contains everything (the others are 2gb in size and only contian the os
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Fair enough. If it's Linux, try this: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

It claims to be able to read and write NTFS, by using Windows' own ntfs.sys. However, as with all things Linux, it's muddy and seems to be poorly put-together. This line makes me wonder:
    Captive was written to interface with the Linux kernel via LUFS. Unfortunately, this project is no longer being maintained by its author. Mounting of NTFS devices usually works, but is no longer supported by the author of Captive.

So I don't see the fucking point of the project if it may/may not work when MOUNTING NTFS devices?!
    there seems no poing in using it if it says it sometimes cant mount ntfs devices. im still sticking with fat 32 for now until i am locked deeply into it (where windows cannot mount fat fs anymore)
    q there is a way you are able to bypass that 32 gb limit and format fat32 partitions. you can use a partitioning program and format it that way. ( i had to use a program called ranish partition manager because on my laptop after i reinstalled windows,it kept mounting my ibm recovery partition(the laptop i have is borrowed for now)as c:
  • and i just tried mounting a tester ntfs partition in vmware with it and it kernel panicked. some software.
  • Well, I'm sticking with FAT32 on the D drive, and possibly NTFS on C next time I format/partition it. As to bypassing the 32GB limit, I may do that, but not now, as I've got Windows working on it. All I really wanted was peoples advice on using it best on that system.

-Q
  • I got som idea... what about installing ReactOS on the CD and boot it from there? It recognizes NTFS...
  • NTFS is more stable and reliable than FAT32. Especially on larger drives.

The quota limit is actually somewhat useful, sometimes for limiting ppl from taking up all your hd space.
  • ROS can boot from CDs, it has a "LiveCD" variation. But I don't know how good it's reading/writing of NTFS is...

-Q
  • It supports read/write on NTFS...
  • IYSS. I've never had occasion to attempt to use ROS to read/write NTFS, as I always use it in a VM with FAT.

-Q