router disconnects...

BODBOD
edited November 2004 in Hardware
whenever i use shareaza on my laptop i get disconnected, this never seems to happen when i use it on my bros comp, or my laptop through the cabled connection....

any ideas?

Comments

• How fast is the wireless? Sounds like the Aza Flood somehow kills it.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My LAN disconnects when I overload it (That is, Windows shows up that "Network Connexion Unplugged" buissiness), so maybe his loses out as well?

-Q
  • BT + Aza, or occasionally Aza in Hub/Ultrapeer mode would do it in the past, there's a thread somewhere around here about it. That's generally why I'd avoid torrents for awhile, it'd screw me and I'd have to restart to get back on (I don't know why disconnect/reconnect or release/renew wouldn't work).

-Q
  • Ive noticed some kind of Windows bug, where if you have TONS of network activity, it SAYS a network cable has been unplugged, but the internet still works fine, and about 6-10 seconds later, it says its been plugged in, and it happens on all my computers when I do something major on them for loooonnngggg periods of time.
  • Fish I know what you mean but it happens to me once in awhile. Then again I have POS internet unfortunatly.

But yeah, its strange a network would disconnect because of too much information - like a highway would close because of too many cars, cant happen. Maybe try tweaking your router settings.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    I have *never* seen that on *any* of my computers.

You should all quit using Ching-Ho Brand 10-megabit $4.99 hub.

Ive seen it on Mr. Clean's D-Link, and on my NetGear...
  • I've gotten it on the LinkSys and the CompUSA.

-Q
  • I've seen it on my Realtek

-Q
  • Q you have GigE, don't you?
  • The Eth on BlacII and III can do that, but all the routers are only 100, and the switch that I don't use is 10.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I've seen it on my Realtek

-Q

Realtek is a $2.99 brand... Most Realtek 8139 cards here are broken after 6 months. Thats why I have 3Com cards,
  • ive had no problems, with large amounts of data, ive bin using a CD drive on a different machine to install stuff and hasd no problems.

ive got a 3-com 802.11g @54mbps router and the card that came with it...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Okay, let me rephrase ...

Get off the $2.99 Ching-Ho Brand Ethernet Adapters.

I have a 3Com that does it, my family PC has a realtek, and I dont know what my brothers has, Mr. Clean's has a netgear.
  • Q wrote:
    The Eth on BlacII and III can do that, but all the routers are only 100, and the switch that I don't use is 10.

-Q
    Right, far from $2.99 Tomchu special Eth cards or whatever he's talking about.
  • i blame BT, we've bin having problems with the line for ages....
  • I'm still saying tweak your router settings.

Type "cmd" in the Run dialog and type IPCONFIG /ALL

and where it says "default gateway" thats your router.
  • yea, theres not really much in the router config page that could change, i checked stuff like VCI etc and they mathc what my ISP says they should
  • I've never had that connection error because I was doing hardcore data sending. The only times I get it is when I actually physically unplug something, or sometimes restarting my router will make it flash for a second.
  • Yeah, I don't understand that. Unless the computers being used are in rather poor condition or have many cpu intense programs running at once and windows can't maintain the connection (my 386 used to do that with windows 95, aol 3.0 32-bit, and an external modem...)
  • the wired thing is, why would the router throw me off the lan connection just because its connection to the net has gone?
  • Maybe it's undergoing a reset and disconnects everyone?

What brand/model router is it exactly?

-Q
  • i dont know the exact model # as its under my desk but this is it
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... 13&_LOC=UK