New PC Build - Opinion's Please

edited November 2004 in Hardware
I will be building the following system. It will be used for some gaming, hosting a winmx chat room, hosting a server, encoding movies, burning dvd's & cd's.

Intel pentium 4 Prescott 3.0GHz HT Technology 800MHz FSB
KingMAX Turbo 512MB (2x256Mb) Dual Channel DDR400
Asrock Mobo (AGP 8X, 64MB 3D Integrated)
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM HDD

Thats the basic spec, of course i have a case, cables and already have cd drives. Will the 512mb dual channel ram be good enough for some gaming? Later on I will add a radeon 9700 pro or something simular.

Thanks

Comments

• Guest wrote:
    I will be building the following system. It will be used for some gaming, hosting a winmx chat room, hosting a server, encoding movies, burning dvd's & cd's.

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM HDD

Thats the basic spec, of course i have a case, cables and already have cd drives. Will the 512mb dual channel ram be good enough for some gaming? Later on I will add a radeon 9700 pro or something simular.

Thanks

If your planning to run a server, you better buy a more expensive mainboard. Asrocks are low budget boards. better buy a quality board. I've had some good experiences with Asus, DFI, Gigabyte, chaintech and Epox.
  • also, if u are on a budget i would reccomend an AMD CPU, apart from being cheaper they also seem to be faster....
  • this pentium 4 will kill any amd athlon/duron/sempron with ease. Athlon 64's are supposably about the same speed. This processor is also
  • AMD owns intel, but get some water cooling in that case
  • I've had good experiences with MSI boards, so you might look @ them if you wanted to.

-Q
  • Guest wrote:
    this pentium 4 will kill any amd athlon/duron/sempron with ease. Athlon 64's are supposably about the same speed. This processor is also
  • Very little HDD... for me all under 0.2TB is terrible. Get at least 0.2 or 0.3 TB HDD.
  • HeH, that's because you're on OpnNetwk! Not everyone is... I have a .3TB (AKA 300 GB) and I'm nowhere NEAR filling it up.

-Q
  • Guest wrote:

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM HDD

Thanks

80gb is a bit small if you're planning to do THOSE things.
  • Are P4 Extremes that good, Fish?
  • yeah. They're better than regular P4s with HT, 1mbL2 and 800fsb.
  • I have one 0.08Tb HDD, two 0.12Tb and one 0.2Tb's
    But now I have less that 500Megs of free space!
  • What do you fill it with?!

-Q
  • 100Gb of apps 50 Gb of Linux distros
    50 gb of movies
    20Gb of music
    100Gb of games
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Q wrote:
    HeH, that's because you're on OpnNetwk! Not everyone is... I have a .3TB (AKA 300 GB) and I'm nowhere NEAR filling it up.

-Q

i wonder how win 98 would run on 300GB, or if it would recognize it.
  • without a patch i think 98s limit is 64GB or sometihng like that. anyways the limit with a patch would have to be 2TB cos thats the max FAT32 size....
  • nope. windows 98 can handle almost any fat32 drives, up to 2TB
  • Actaully it's 8TB, according to Microsoft. But we all know that if it's any large size now NTs will force NTFS.

::arrow: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006/EN-US/

-Q