does this laptop suck or what

edited November 2004 in Hardware
this laptop i got here are the specs

ibm thinkpad
33mhz i386(might be i486 pretty sure 386 though)
12mb ram
1 3 1/2 floppy drive
no hdd(forgot password to it)
current os dos 6.22 slimmed down and boot off floppy
ega 16 shades(b&w) monitor capable of 320x400
no battery it got shorted
a half broken keyboard that some keys don't work
integrated mouse(one of those litle stub things)
2 serial ports
1 parrelel port
1 external ega plugin
2 pcmia slots
no sound or cd-rom

the main reason i use it is when i don';t ahve my pc (like when in the cvar and using a converter)

now all that said IT SUCKS DON'T IT :mad:

Comments

• Yes that laptop sucks. If you dont want it I'll take it. ;)
  • sucks.

yeah that sounds like its going south (as Q would say) with all things that are wrong with it.
  • The "little stub things" are pretty cool...
  • why not buy a normal keyboard and hook the keyboard into the PS/2 port? If one...

BTW cant u format the HDD and install Windows 3.x?
  • The "little stub things" are pretty cool...

you can only get them on thinkpads on a modern computer
  • Topher wrote:
    The "little stub things" are pretty cool...

I've got a old laptop w/ a stub thing, and it wasn't an IBM, but an Austin brand one.
  • Topher wrote:
    The "little stub things" are pretty cool...

I've got a old laptop w/ a stub thing, and it wasn't an IBM, but an Austin brand one.

all old ones have them.

i was refering to new modern ones.
  • I know the Toshiba did.

-Q
  • um the whole hdd was locked down to a password you have to have the pass to boot period(even to a floppy) it is liek a bios passowrd and trust me i have tried everythign to get the passowrd to scramble
    and it only has an extra ps/2 port for mouse(i have tried hooking a keybpoard up to it but it didn't work)
    and no one can have it cause on rare occasions i do use it and i am probably goignto use micro win and the like onm it
  • remove the cmos battery from its plug, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and then you have to set the bios all up again but you can get in.
  • Unplug it and remove the normal battery too (Even if it is broken) ;)

-Q
  • trust me i have tried everythign to get the passowrd to scramble

tried it i am not an idiot it is stored in the hdd circutry cause right now the hdd is completely out of it cause it won't boot if i hav eit in and don't know the password
    i have tried opening the case but it is locked down tight and i don't mean with screws you actyually have to well for the most part tear the top and bottom apart and hope they fit back and i have tried ooenign it and can't pry it open
  • Hey shut up! This old laptop is cool, because old hadrware 4ever!
    I am the fan of old hardware,so i bet it's cool.

Just understand if there were no such laptops, there would be NO Pentiums 4s...
  • Slash's got a point. I had an IBM similar to the one you described... except no PCMCIA. Of all 386 and 486 laptops I've ever seen in my life, NONE had a PCMCIA slot. Yours has two. That's crazy. I mean, hell, you could probably use it for wardriving if you can get it to boot up, and then run BSD on it.
    As for the HDD and battery... how is the HDD passworded? Can't you just FDISK it?
    The keyboard...tough luck. I've had that with an IBM 386 I had. Good computer too. Sadly it used one of those old, flimsy paper-style shove-in connectors for the keyboard. The contacts got messed up, and boom. Keys don't work. Soldering doesn't work much either, cause they're thin, plasticky leads. I've tried it. No work.
    Ah well. It landed in the trash about 6 months ago. Now I have an Athlon XP 2500+ laptop. Who could ask for more? LOL
  • varuvaru wrote:
    Sadly it used one of those old, flimsy paper-style shove-in connectors for the keyboard. The contacts got messed up, and boom. Keys don't work. Soldering doesn't work much either, cause they're thin, plasticky leads. I've tried it. No work.
    Do you mean it's connected with a ribbon cable? I bet if you check ebay you may be able to find scrap parts to fix up old laptops.
  • I already threw it away. But the cable actually went off straight off the keyboard contact thing...Like...
    Hell, I'll draw it.

kbd.png
  • thanks for the vivid picture. I think I know what you mean now.
  • hell, i still need to fix my IBM 760L laptop.. I got two, a 760CD, and a 760L.. There are pretty good routers/firewalls if you put a basic linux distro on it.
  • hell, i still need to fix my IBM 760L laptop.. I got two, a 760CD, and a 760L.. There are pretty good routers/firewalls if you put a basic linux distro on it.

mines broke too, i should really fix it

and now your gonna have tom moaning at you for using linux lol
  • Heh, varuvaru can write pretty cool in Paint, I do that much worse! LMAO
  • I had a packard bell statesman plus laptop with:

A 50 Mhz 486 Processor, No OverDrive
    12 MB RAM, Maximum
    Windows 3.1, then Upgraded to 95
    1 Serial Port
    1 PS/2 Port
    1 Floppy
    200 MB HDD, 400 with DBLSPACE
    16 Colors MAX, at 640 x 480
    512 KB VIDEO RAM
    1 PCMCIA SLOT
    No sound or CD-ROM

I then proceded to tear it apart to check whats in it and shorted it out somehow; there was a puff of smoke, and that was her last words. I got it for 15 bucks on ebay 1 week before, shipping was 15, so it really was 30.
  • "Statesman" ? That's a stange sounding name for a machine.

-Q