Antivirus Recommendation

edited November 2004 in Software
I was getting a little paranoid 'cause something was messing with my
computer. I ran AdAware and Norton Cleansweep and my Norton
antivirus ran on Friday night as usual and found nothing. I heard about
this site called housecall and so I went there and ran the free program.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
It found a trojan and I deleted it. It worked real well and it's free.
That's a nice combination. Here's a link:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Thump

Comments

• Good online av

requires the failed internet exparimenation (IE) tho.
  • I need to get NOD32 or something... I think my laptop has something.
  • NOD32!

MOVED TO APPS TALK.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice little find Thump. I use AVG and so far its been pretty good with my system.

but yeah, knowing what processes are running and being fully aware to system performance definatly helps in making a judgement on what to do. aka being smart.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Knowing your process list like the inside of your ass is not going to help.
    ROFLCOPTER

It may help a bit, but in reality a good AV is the best.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Best Anti-Virus: Not getting infected in the first place. How is that done? By being teh smart.

Same for adware/spyware. I've only got ONE actual piece so far, and that was from something on the Comedy Central site (or South Park Studios...I forget) when I still had AOL. :puke:
  • It's still helpful to have a safety-net to catch you when you miss something and are headed for a fall.

-Q
  • Kaspersky 0wnz you... :)
  • You said in past topics that Kaspersky sucked!

-Q
  • Best antivirus: NOD32 and "Being teh smart".
  • Q wrote:
    You said in past topics that Kaspersky sucked!

-Q
    After looking closer at version 5.0 PersonalPro, I've totally changed my opinion...
    4.X are truly suck! Won't recommend them to anyone!
  • I like AVG, not a resource hog, detection updates are small, and done by the program (as opposed to norton where you subscribe to get updates, or download a 7+MB file [I remember when those definitions were only 5MB, now they climb in size each time] and have to run the file manually to install the update).
  • No... you may use "Update Database" option to download and installl all updates automatically
  • NOD updates are like ~1MB each, and they're been like that for ages.

Slash, why do you use Kaspersky when your sig says you'll never use Russian soft?

-Q
  • By my signature I meant that I never use Russian versions of any software, unlike all my friends and relatives do.
    I find English Windows, and other English soft better cuz all the menus are much smaller. That's because Russian words are long... and don't look good at all.
    I use English version of Kaspersky.