Installing nt 4 , but can it be done with.....

2»

Comments

• ok ive started dling winwords version of C, its 125mb ?? so is that the full iso or jsut the win95 folder? cause i really need that 50mb folder BOD was talking abotu can someplease help.
  • ok heres what i did so far:
    - dled nt 4 setup disks off net
    - copied the i386 folder to the hd and now i hope to install it from there
    Last time I checked, NT 4 has only 3 setup disks, is the 4th one the atapi.sys update? If so, there is hope for you yet.
    trainer4 wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    I don't have time to test that for you, but there's no reason i can think of that it won't work....unless.....the i386 folder is on a FAT16 partition, right?
    You can put it on an 8.4 GB NTFS partition if you know how to do it right. SP3+ for NT 4 will enable the usage of larger hard disks.
    SP4 and higher were the ones that supported larger drives. NT can support FAT16 (up to 4 gigs) and NTFS (8.4GB WAS a limit, there are ways past it [I've done it, installed NT 4 onto a 25GB hard drive no problems]).

As for the hot swapping issue, you could make the cd bootable, but you'll still be limited to the 8.4. I just spent a couple hours in VMware trying to recreate your problem. I couldn't find a way around it. I pressed S to skip detection, then S again to secify, then I pressed UP where it says Other (requires disk....) (not many people seem to know about pressing up here), well anyways, I went up to the IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 2.0/PC IDE) (it's something like that), then it asked for disk 3, then it says that it was set up, then I switched from floppy enabled to disabled, and cd-rom to enabled, but it couldn't find the EULA (aparently by this time... it wanted the files on the hard drive).

Your best bet is to get the cd to become bootable. !!!! I just thought of an idea!!!! Make the cd bootable with a dos bootdisk (I am guessing it isn't bootable if your using floppies too), boot from the cd (the floppy image will be emulated,and booted from that, make sure your bootdisk has cd-rom support). Once booted, go to the cd drive, then cd i386, then, winnt.exe /b , with /b, you'll do a floppy free install, the cd will copy all the files to the hard drive, then you reboot, and the setup will continue from the hard drive.
  • thnak you so much, how can i make a cd a bootcd with a dos bootdisk. maybe a noobsih question but i never done it b4
  • wait I HAVE A BOOT CD , can i boot from one cd and then do E:
    winnt.exe /b from the nt cd?