I need help on making an FTP server with bulletproof server

edited November 2004 in Software
Q, this is your forte. What do I need to do to set up an FTP server? I want to host files.
I am on a linksys 4 port router switch.

Comments

• oh gosh, should i post another insanely long post on a tutorial on how to do that.

if you want i will do it later.
  • Sure, I would like any help I can get.

PS: this thread is not just for Q to respond to.
  • OK. You can use BPFTP or FileZilla FTP server (I'm assuming Windows). Well 1st get either one and install it (I forget if it asks you anything strange).

1ce it's installed, you have to configure passivemode (tell it what your external IP is (65.61.106.195)) and what port to use. The standard is 21.

Then go here and look up your router and forward 21 to it.

On BPFTP svr or FZSvr goto user manager (On FZ this is an icon with a face and computer on it). Add a new user, set a passwd if you want and make sure you set a shared folder (This is what they see when they login).

That was a rough and rather uncouth walkthough, post if you have more detailed troubles.

-Q
  • Q, What kind of Windows OS do you recommend as a Bulletproof server?

Greets

headbanger013
  • If you are going to use a Windows system as a server, you should definately go with an NT kernel OS. I perfer 2000 SP4, but if you system can't handle it, then use NT 4 SP6a or 3.51 SP5.

-Q
  • Ok, I want to set up a file server and want a detailed explaination of how to set up bulletproof server. Anyone care to give me a few pointers?
  • File server being FTP server? And on Windows?

-Q
  • Yes. I want a file server and it will be in Windows XP.
  • OK. Now here it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

If you want to do it the free way, I'd recommend FZFTP Server (filezilla.sf.net). Fish uses the BPFTP server, which is shareware. Pick your choice, and then the more expert one of us will advise.

-Q
  • OK.

From ( http://filezilla.sf.net/ ) download the lastest version of FZ Server (Should be called FileZilla_Server_0_9_3.exe ). Run the installer and select your preferances. The Setup settings are pretty good by default, although you may want to change the startup option if you want this running only for certain things.

Once setup completes the Server Interface will load, and you'll get a dialog box. You can select "Always connect to this server" and hit <Enter>.

Then click the gearwheel in the toolbar and change some settings. You many want to run it on a port other then 21, I'd remove the version # display from the welcome message, you MAY have to setup passive mode IPs if you've got an internal network, and you can enable MODE Z if you want to.

To setup a user, click the profile and computer icon the toolbar and then "Add" under "Users". Then you can specify a password, the max speed they can use, and what folders they can access.

Ask about any particulars if you need them.

-Q
  • Now I want to know if I need a domain from no-ip.com and how I go about setting that up with filezilla. Also I want to know if I need to bind my server to my IP.
  • You don't NEED a domain, but if yours changes alot and you're going to refer others to it (Or maybe run a webserver later on) then it might be a good idea. If you have a router, check to see what dynamic DNS clients it supports, you could go with one of them and have the router update it. As to IP binding, I think you can just leave it @ the default.

-Q
  • What do I do when I want to let someone connect to my computer? What address do I give?
  • Assuming you're using the default port (21):

ftp://(YourIPhere)/ or if you've gotten a dynamic DNS ftp://condef.ddnsproviderhere.tld/. If you want to specify the user they are to login as, ftp://user@addr/, or ftp://user:password@addr/.

-Q
  • Now when I try to connect it give me a "login or password incorrect".
  • Did you set up a user and give it a password? And what are you using to login?

-Q
  • edited November 2004
    ftp://constitutional-defender.no-ip.org I have no password.
    I set up a ddns at no-ip.com. It goes to filezilla but the log indicates that the login or password was incorrect.

c61.jpg
  • Did you create that user (anonymous) ?

-Q
  • edited November 2004
    No. What I can't figure out is why it connects as anonymous.
  • You have to create users before you can login as them. Try adding that user and not selecting "Password:". That should let you login.

-Q
  • Now it gives me "Permission Denied".
  • OK, FZ Client defaults to connecting as anonymous. Setup the user you want on FZS, then when you run FZ (The client), in the "Address:", "User:", and "Password:" boxes @ the top, enter 127.0.0.1, and the user and password you just created.

-Q
  • I give up. I never can get it to work.
  • Use Bullet Proof FTP like I do, you dont HAVE to pay for it...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I found my problem. Woohoo! (dance). It works now. Thanks Q for all your help.
  • *yay* I'm probably going to setup one of these things sometime soon, too.
  • It turns out that I did not give the account permission to list the directories. Lol. Once I realized what "list" meant then it all came together.
  • Use Bullet Proof FTP like I do, you dont HAVE to pay for it...
    More information about this please.
    PM or thump@draac.com
    Thanks
    Thump