Live Distributions

2»

Comments

• I remember when 3COM was the best for home networking. I noticed they started to go down hill in the mid 90s. Think it was because everyone didn't want to pay like 90 bucks for a modem or nic when other companys had cheaper equipment.
  • Yeah, theres a store now that sell NIC's at wholesale for $.99
  • Yeah, theres a store now that sell NIC's at wholesale for $.99

how good are those nics. are they new or refurbished or used? how fast do they go?
  • 10/100 new
  • Thats gotta be a scam, 99 cents? kinda hard to believe.
  • lol, go to like compusa or staples,, you play $20 for a NIC, rebate and its free!
  • Oh. Yea I've done that, I believe. Or I've tried to, sometimes they're all out by the time I get there.
  • lol, not quite quick enough. Nex time camp out in front of the store
  • edited June 2004
    Somepeople did that at the big CompUSA sale when I got my 400Mhz Cele. I think it was when ComputerCity changed over to CompUSA or something.

EDIT: On second thought, we didn't get the Cele then. I think we got a deal on W98 then, though.
  • wow, thats a long time ago.

I got these old computer paper ads from 1992
  • Lol. I saw them on your server once.
  • I should make a thread about those. I still have them in my emailbox
  • You should!
  • i love P.H.L.A.K. and Knoppix STD. with phlak you can use the desktop=sneaky feature when booting in a net cafe, appear to be running xp (if they arrent looking at the comp closely) and do all sorts of darkish hat stuff with the hundreds of top notch tools that come with phlak. i like knoppix std because when it boots it has most of the daemons already loaded (nessus) and can save some time. PHLAK comes with wine and my favorite windows programs, Brutus and Achilles! i highly recommend both. you can have alot of fun with these lol
  • SLAX is another good live CD. Around 185 mb or so...PClinux is pretty cool as well,. I just can't figured out how to get on the internet with a USB wireless adaptor...
    Menuet OS is the best floppy OS.
  • If its 185MB you need a CD, ZIP's are slow so why not just use a faull 650/700Mb distro?
  • well, I figured that it was a CD and the smaller the CD the less access time for 185mb vs 700mb....it's slower running from a CD regardless, so smaller would be better. Plus I was looking for some lower resouce PCs I have laying around....
  • i preffer konoppix
    by the way, do you know any LiveCD *BSD distributions?
  • eugrus wrote:
    by the way, do you know any LiveCD *BSD distributions?
    i have already found http://www.freesbie.org/ and http://frenzy.org.ua/
    those are LiveCD *BSD OSs
  • I wonder is it legal?
  • Slash wrote:
    I wonder is it legal?
    it is a strange question =)
    FreeSBIE is a LiveCD based on the FreeBSD Operating system
    freebsd is a free os, so it is
    Frenzy is the same
  • Ah, good. I even thought that it is another commercial distributive of FreeBSD... once there were...
  • Slash wrote:
    Ah, good. I even thought that it is another commercial distributive of FreeBSD... once there were...
    there never were commercial disributives of FreeBSD :)
  • No, there were... GettaBSD is one of them... I saw it in shop in Omsk.
  • Slash wrote:
    No, there were... GettaBSD is one of them... I saw it in shop in Omsk.
    GettaBSD, NetBSD, Darwin and etc. not are FreeBSDs!!!
    they all have a similar kernel (*BSD-like), but they are made by different creators!

so, do not tell comercial FreeBSD, tell comercial *BSD-like UNIX system ;)
  • Ukraine BSD, that's a new one on me.

I may try a BSD someday, in VMware or similar.

-Q
  • drsoft wrote:
    Good site. Thanks.
    But useless for me for now...