Windows 2000 Update Rollup Announcement

edited December 2004 in Software
Windows 2000 Update Rollup Announcement

Posted: November 24, 2004

To make it as easy as possible for customers to maintain the security and stability of their Windows 2000 systems, Microsoft will produce an Update Rollup for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4), with a planned release in mid-2005.

The Update Rollup will contain all security-related updates produced for Windows 2000 between the time SP4 was released and the time when Microsoft finalizes the contents of the Update Rollup. The Update Rollup will also contain a small number of important non-security updates.

By including the most important updates for Windows 2000, the Update Rollup will make it easier for customers to keep existing Windows 2000 systems secure and up to date, and to build new deployment images. The Update Rollup should require less pre-deployment testing for two reasons: the number of updates included in the Update Rollup is significantly lower than the number typically included in a service pack, and Microsoft will have already released most of the contents of the Update Rollup as individual updates and hotfixes. Individual hotfixes made since SP4, but not included in the Update Rollup, will remain available via individual downloads.

Because Microsoft believes the Update Rollup will meet the needs of customers better than a new service pack, there will be no Service Pack 5 (SP5) for Windows 2000. Therefore, SP4 becomes the final service pack for Windows 2000. Customers who have not yet deployed SP4 should consider deploying SP4 as soon as possible, especially since SP4 will be a prerequisite for deploying the Update Rollup.

Comments

• HaH! Slash was
  • *tears* this is a sign that 2000 is slowly getting near it's demise.
  • *tears* this is a sign that 2000 is slowly getting near it's demise.

noooooooooooooo!!!!
  • Why, WHY, did this have to happen...

-Q
  • w00t!!!
    cool!
    I knew they were not going 2k away!
    Wait, soon there'll be SP5 for it.. after that update...
  • Slash wrote:
    w00t!!!
    cool!
    I knew they were not going 2k away!
    Wait, soon there'll be SP5 for it.. after that update...

i doubt it, this is like the last rights for 2000 :(
  • trainer4 wrote:
    there will be no Service Pack 5 (SP5) for Windows 2000. Therefore, SP4 becomes the final service pack for Windows 2000.
  • Well 2000 is dead. Hah. Well, not really....
  • Ah well. Just keep using it.
  • Yeah, 2000 will keep getting the job done on all my computers that can run it.
  • It doesn't kill 2000, no, but it does mean that it may get left out of important updates after this Update Rollup and End Of Life occur. Just hope there are workarounds if anything comes up.

-Q
  • Well, maybe 2000's death will make XP and 2003 better...
  • Slash wrote:
    Well, maybe 2000's death will make XP and 2003 better...
    I don't really think XP is going to have many more things change with it. Home edition is set to leave mainstream support in 2006
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 31-Dec-2001 31-Dec-2006
    But that's just original, there isn't a date for SP1+ yet.
  • Ok, then waiting for Longhorn and its brand-new WinFS. Dont think it'll be good. Anyway its worth to look at.
  • You're a Linux user. Of course you're just going to "assume" it's not going to be good.

Why not wait until it comes out and have a look? Or at least do some homework on it.
  • WTFbomb, Slash uses Windows.

-Q
  • I thought he used Linux, he said in other threads.
  • Different PC? :P
  • I don't think so. Remember, this is Russia, where ppl have 28.8 dialup and 486s online.

From what I know of him, he uses Windows, but still admires Linux. Reminds me of myself :wink: ::D

-Q
  • And me. Once I get the HP working again, I'm setting up an Ubuntu-powered server (because FreeBSD craps out during boot).
  • Ah! Ubuntu! I was informed about that, but know nothing. What's it like/about? Any good?

-Q
  • I dunno. It's the newest distro, based on Debian, and they shipped out free CDs for the first release last month (and I still didn't get mine!).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My SigX hanged somewhere in the past.
    And yes, I am using multi-boot from WindowsXP to Linux.
  • Slash wrote:
    Ok, then waiting for Longhorn and its brand-new WinFS. Dont think it'll be good. Anyway its worth to look at.
    Yeah, I'm not expecting much with WinFS, they have supposedly already starting cutting WinFS down and making it much less then it was said to be.
  • Today they say one thing and tomorrow they'll say something else...
    Let's wait and we will see...