Wanna edit ISOs?

edited December 2004 in Software
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but MS has a tool for mounting ISOs like normal drives. Get it.

Comments

• I went ahead and got it but don't know what to do with it.
    Have you got a site for more information?
    If you use it please tell us how it goes.

Thump
  • Copy the driver (vcdsomething.sys) to your system32\drivers directory (so you need 2000 or xp, not tested on nt 4) and run the program to load the driver and mount an iso. Problem is, you can't actually edit anything.
  • I'd better use some better products from better companies.
  • *slash goes and downloads some crappy Linux tool that some 40 year old guy made in his basement*
  • or i could go get my virtual drive disc out and not bother downloading anything
  • Yeah.... I think I'll stick with daemon tools.
  • Nero ImageDrive is a "crappy Linux tool made be some 40 year old guy in his basement" ?

-Q
  • i think steve has taken that stereo-type waaaay too far
  • Uh oh... not more linux/windows bitching.... To the people who feel linux sucks... be quiet and keep using windows to show your loyalty. To the people who love linux, have fun doing something different.
  • BOD wrote:
    i think steve has taken that stereo-type waaaay too far

It's a blantantly false one to begin with. Like Novell and SuSE are run out of someones basement, and don't we all know by now that when it comes to coding, noone cares who you are, but what you write.

Regardless of who says it, it's just...(fail)

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Theres Nero for Linux but they actually charge people for it with no trials.
  • Actually, cdrecord works with most common burners.
  • Quite a few are simply frontends to cdrecord.
  • Tom: Slash used Windows AND Linux, and I think he had Nero in a screenshot of his...

-Q
  • Steve wrote:
    *slash goes and downloads some crappy Linux tool that some 40 year old guy made in his basement*
    No. I'd rather use daemon tools or imagedrive for windows.
    And yeah, if I had to mount that in linux i won't download anything cuz i already have that tool!
  • Current link for download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

However in case that MS is monitoring the refferrer, it's a good idea not to click on the URL, rather copy&pasting it into address line of browser etc.

From the page itself:
    Supported Operating System

• Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP
    • Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7; Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2

BTW, it's highly probable that it's been discussed elsewhere in the forum, MS Win 8.1 and Win10 directly allows an .iso to be mounted as a drive letter if default app for .iso extension is File Explorer.

• @cafyon, you just bumped a thread last posted almost 15 years ago. Just thought I'd say it.

Well, going in line with this discussion, I've used MagicISO to edit ISOs when needed (or to convert certain formats into .iso, such as .img files).

• @Bry89 He added something useful to the post, so I believe it is allowed.

• @Bry89 you're so right. However in my language we say "konuyu hortlatmak", but I couldn't find its appropriate English equivalent. So before mentioning about my "bumping" I finished and posted my comment, so I forgot to mention bumping. But now I know how to say it, it's gonna be "Sorry for bumping this thread..." for me. ;)
    BTW, I never intend to spoil threads. As @Windows 2000 said (thank you for that), I just tried to add somehing useful.
    I love WinWorld!
    Well, as for the thread's contents... IMHO built-in .iso mounting feature for MS Windows is a nice thing to have, nothing more.
    Cheers!

• There wasn't built in support for mounting ISOs back when this thread was new.