windows ce

edited December 2004 in Site Issues
It would be cool to see windows CE 1.0,2.0,2.1,2.11 and such
of course, to run on pc wouldnt you have to have a special program?

Comments

• I don't know where to get them, and more to the point, are the ABW nowadays?

-Q
  • You can run them on PC's with certain emulaters, but theres really no point.
  • CE1.0 is pretty old, so it should be abandoned...
  • legendows wrote:
    It would be cool to see windows CE 1.0,2.0,2.1,2.11 and such
    of course, to run on pc wouldnt you have to have a special program?
    You can download a trial of CE 5 form mircosoft's website. THe intel version.
  • If you have a xbox you want to mod you can run Windows CE on it. Not sure what version of CE though. I think it's a converted version of the Trial version from MS.
  • would I be able to upload it to my pocket pc?
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    If you have a xbox you want to mod you can run Windows CE on it. Not sure what version of CE though. I think it's a converted version of the Trial version from MS.

You mean Windows CE .NET that was ported to XBOX?
  • I believe CE up to 2.0 is abandoned...
    I only ever find downloads for 4 and 5
    3.0 ends 2007
  • as far as I know, Microsoft did offer windows ce 2.0 for the 486 or higher, but no OEM's took it up
  • hey what is version 5 like?
  • isnt version 5 windows mobile 2005 or no....
  • Maybe it is Tablet PC 2005?
  • Slash wrote:
    Maybe it is Tablet PC 2005?
    Tablet PC is the full XP pro core + stuff. Mainly higher support for the tablets touch screen.
  • Slash wrote:
    hey what is version 5 like?
    It is only for pentium machines and it is like the regular windows exept it takes up little room... boots difernelty and does not suport any regular windows (mfc) aplications! :glasses4: Mcrsoft :glasses5: wants it to be used as a point of order (cash register) machine or for platform specific tasks such as runing a robotic arm or conrtroling a lab enviromnet. Most people though know windows ce form the handhelds, which died for some reson (I have an NEC) the Windows CE's where like small computers, they had the failure of the being embeded devices and it was impossable to upgrade anything, but they functioned like regular half screened windows systems. Windows ce program writing tools are offered for free form :glasses4: Mcrsoft :glasses5: and the development (code-ing) is much like regular windows expet for a lack of liburies. Over all the windows ce class of systems was a small impact and are nice little systems to use. If you have a 200 megabite harddrive and want an office system then installl windows ce (it comes witht the office suite and a IE)...
    Slash wrote:
    Maybe it is Tablet PC 2005?
    Tablet PC is the full XP pro core + stuff. Mainly higher support for the tablets touch screen.
    There are too forms of windows embeded, NT embeded (terminal systems) and CE imbeded (compact and mobile systems)...
    legendows wrote:
    isnt version 5 windows mobile 2005 or no....
    Windows mobile is a different system, it tries to establish the generic processor while windows ce does not ... thus processor aplications are processor specific (mips, arm, sh3, sh4, pentium, 286, the one in a sega dream cast) pocket pc and telephone editon windows (like standert windows) try to establish the generic possor but have not succed 100% but they try!
    Steve wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    If you have a xbox you want to mod you can run Windows CE on it. Not sure what version of CE though. I think it's a converted version of the Trial version from MS.

You mean Windows CE .NET that was ported to XBOX?
    Xbox runs on windows ce without a GUI (or console) programs use the windows ce system... just like sega dream cast
    legendows wrote:
    would I be able to upload it to my pocket pc?
    Not unless you change your rom and make your own version! then you can only run aplications that are made for your pc...
    ps. to make your own version download platform builder from micrsoft...

[Edit by Q: quintuple post merged to 1]
  • Network1.k wrote:
    Xbox runs on windows ce without a GUI (or console) programs use the windows ce system... just like sega dream cast

No, the Xbox uses a very cut-down Windows 2000.
  • and the dreamcast didnt run windows CE
  • The Dreamcast's developing tools were for Windows CE if I remember right.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast
    Microsoft cooperated with Sega in hopes of promoting its Windows CE operating system for video games, but Windows CE for the Dreamcast showed very limited capabilities when compared to the Dreamcast's native operating system. The libraries that Sega offered gave room for much more performance, but they were sometimes more difficult to utilize when porting over existing PC applications.
  • nightice wrote:
    Network1.k wrote:

Windows ce is simple a windows Kernel cut down and molded for the platform... just like the Xbox kernel.... There is a version of windows ce that is called 2000 professional.
  • nightice wrote:
    Network1.k wrote:

Yeah but it look's NOTHING like 2000.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    Network1.k wrote:

Yeah but it look's NOTHING like 2000.
    It looks like 2000 windows 98 looks like 2000, this really is not about looks also, I could install windowsblinds and then my computer would look like a windows 3.1
  • So your saying it's a shell running over 2000? :?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A platform running Windows 2000 doesn't have to look anything like Windows 2000. Replace the shell, make it more stable (which it will be with only one app running on it), and that's basically it.
  • If an xbox is based on win2k, couldnt you just pop the disc in and run the game natively.

whats stopping that?
  • Xbox has TONS of things blocking you from using non-xbox dvds. Its only possible with tons of hardware changes, and doing that renders xbox live useless.
  • Lemme rephrase,

couldnt you pop a xbox dvd in a pc and run it natively.
  • No. It contains a proprietary file system (which probably isn't too different from UDF) and a slightly modified PE for the executables (.xbe). All you get when putting an Xbox disc in a PC is a little animation telling you to put it in an Xbox.
  • nightice wrote:
    No. It contains a proprietary file system (which probably isn't too different from UDF) and a slightly modified PE for the executables (.xbe). All you get when putting an Xbox disc in a PC is a little animation telling you to put it in an Xbox.
    That if your lucky my CD drive does not let me pop the cd out! I have to boot linux and remove it.... Also to the comments That I know nothing... I use, and have used windows CE I have had it on my pentium and on my handhelds.. I have written programs for windows CE... Mobile is slightly different from windows ce (It is an embeded device but it uses a slightly different method for "talking" to the processor)... has anybody tried to e-mail microsoft with any of these question (they like people interesed in ce because a CE systems needs tons of micrsoft backing$$$)...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.