DVD playable film?

QQ
edited December 2004 in Hardware
OK, I'm filing this under Hard support because I figure this is sortof hardware related.

Now, mind you, I'm a newbie when it comes to this...

I have a video file, AVI or MPG, and I want to get it on a disc (CD or DVD) so that a DVD player can play it. How do I do this? I've never tried before so I don't know, and I don't want to make like 15 coasters before I figure out I overlooked some minor option that I should've known about.

-Q

Comments

• im not sure but doesnt the infamous windows movie maker give you ability to import that sort of media in and burn in on a cd or dvd, if not can a dvd player just pick up media, can you just burn it on with some burning prog?
  • use nero's video disc option, might take a while to encode it but then again i was using a 233 at the time
  • im not sure but doesnt the infamous windows movie maker give you ability to import that sort of media in and burn in on a cd or dvd, if not can a dvd player just pick up media, can you just burn it on with some burning prog?

I hate the Windows Movie maker now, when I burn 1 cd, tried to play it in each of my 5 DVD players in the house, MS recorded it in some crazy was, so I wasn't able to play it back, so then I used Nero'svideo cd burning thing, and it worked in 4 of 5 of my dvd players
  • So, how exactly am I supposed to do this? Select "Make Video CD" and then...?

-Q
  • Here, this will help you.

And thrash metal still sucks... but Pantera, didn't they like stop being like in the eightees?
  • Get TMPGEncoder... http://tmpgenc.net...

Then encode the avi into an NTSC MPG.

Then, use Nero to burn the VCD and you're set.
  • OK I'll try this later tonight and list all the steps followed to create the VCD. I tried doing it and get errors when attempting to play it.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Instead of making a VCD, why not make a DVD from it?

Are you sure the DVD you're using can play VCD's also. Look for something about MPEG video on the manual or the unit.
  • I tried to but Nero confused me royally.

-Q
  • Q what dvd player do you have???? I will see what info I can dig up for you to help you out give me a make and model
  • ftp://ftp6.nero.com/Support_doc/PDF-Exp ... VCD-CD.pdf

It isn't hard either.... select Video CD, click new, drag the video file over to the data window, it will do the rest for you. But yes... VCD is sucky quality, 320x240. If your dvd player can do SVCD, your better off.
  • I have a toshiba DVD and it would let me play the SVCD, but then again, that was Super Video and not just a regular Video CD. Maybe that has something to do with it... Ill have to look in the manual (uhh.)
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    I have a toshiba DVD and it would let me play the SVCD, but then again, that was Super Video and not just a regular Video CD. Maybe that has something to do with it... Ill have to look in the manual (uhh.)
    Yes... you need to make sure your DVD player can play VCD or SVCD. The thing with movie maker, is that it uses a HI-MAT format, that.... NO DVD PLAYER ON EARTH WILL SUPPORT, so screw that.
    Use a cd-rw to test, burn a vcd and a svcd, if they play your good, if they don't then that sucks.