Windows 1.01 Live Floppy

edited January 2005 in Site Issues
I have this and it loads Windows 1.01 off of a floppy!!
Does WinWorld want it?

Comments

• I've heard of it. Sounds spiffy.
  • That's on toastytech.com under files.
  • Aaah. I found it on a FTP.
  • Is this 1.44MB?
  • Yea I read the topic and thought "Didn't TTch have this?". It's a great idea, but someone else got it 1st :wink:

-Q
  • How about a Windows 2.x live floppy?
  • Q wrote:
    Yea I read the topic and thought "Didn't TTch have this?". It's a great idea, but someone else got it 1st :wink:

-Q

I got the Windows 3.1 version ;)
  • isnt that on the china dos uniion site?
  • link!!!
  • link for what? the mini 1x? the mini 2x? the mini 3x? Why not make your own... it's not hard. All you need is a dos boot disk with space to copy the rest.
  • the 3.x needs either to be really small or use a ram drive (like mine does)
  • Yea, but what files are nescessarry?
  • I think the stuff in the Windows\System directory should cover a lot of it. Then you need win.com, system.ini, win.ini, and progman.exe.
  • nightice wrote:
    I think the stuff in the Windows\System directory should cover a lot of it. Then you need win.com, system.ini, win.ini, and progman.exe.
    The four files you listed might yield results... and yeah, some of those DLL's are needed. I guess you could install a clean stripped 3.1 (no extra features) that way you will have just the basics installed, then go from there.
  • aaaallrigt. But not now.. whats the adress to the site? There was a site with DOS 7.10 and a live 3.1 floppy.
  • edited December 2004
    smg wrote:
    aaaallrigt. But not now.. whats the adress to the site? There was a site with DOS 7.10 and a live 3.1 floppy.
    I had these at one point in time.... forgot where I got them from.
  • Nice find! although....
    MS-DOS 7.10 Full Version is totally compatible with Win/WFW 3.x, without the needs of any changes or patches.
    I guess he/they patched IO.SYS already because 7.x isn't readily compatible unless you patch it. As for older versions, it's a simple matter of using setver and adding their bin file to the list (win200.bin, win100.bin) and giving them a happy dos version... like 3.33 or 5.
  • what? come again?
  • Ok, if you were to actually install windows 95 (later versions) or windows 98, and then try running windows 3.x, it would not work, you need to patch the system files. For them to claim that 3.x works without this would mean they have already done that for you (not hard... just a simple little file, had it somewhere).

In order for versions of windows 2.x or 1.x to work, you need to add something to SETVER (a program that makes older programs think they are running on an older version of DOS). I don't remember the exact syntax to adding new lines as I haven't done it in a while, but you would add win200.bin for win 2.x and win100.bin for win 1.x. For all I know, win200.bin may already be added, at least dos 6.22 included it already (that's how I figured out how to get 1.x to work in 6.22, I looked at setvers lists).
  • aha! thx for explaining.
  • Send me Windows 1.0 Live floppy on giantdragon@gmail.com .
  • drsoft wrote:
    Send me Windows 1.0 Live floppy on giantdragon@gmail.com .
    Why not to get it from www.toastytech.com ?