But Why?

edited April 2004 in Software
Why would you use an outdated, old, non compatible version of windows?
Why would you use the crappiest computer you can find?
Why would you use something useful in no way possible?
Why would you brag about having a shitty computer?
Why would you store old os's (i only have them to mirror winworld)?
Why not update yur system ?
:twisted:

Comments

• Why would you use a new, bloated, bleeding edge, overpriced piece of crap?
    WHy would you use an OS that presumes you a pirate the instant you install it?
    Why would you something that has a 1000 features that take us 1000MB of space that you'll never use?
    Why would you use a OS with a new security hole ever week?
    Why not use the tried and true past?

-Q
  • Answer 1: because im not poor, and anyway, the older software was much more expensive then when it came out
    Answer 2: Because I am one (0wned)
    Answer 3: i find every aspect of my os useful (except the internet, im not sure why i'd use that. better switch to dos, which doesnt use internet (owned again))
    Answer 4: because i have an effective virus detector
    answer 5: because that path sucked hard a s s (Robert Frost kicks yo a s s (0wned, yet again))

Furthermore: you cant answer questions with questions! (congraulations, youve been 0wned)
  • MrClean wrote:
    Answer 1: because im not poor, and anyway, the older software was much more expensive then when it came out
    Answer 2: Because I am one (0wned)
    Answer 3: i find every aspect of my os useful (except the internet, im not sure why i'd use that. better switch to dos, which doesnt use internet (owned again))
    Answer 4: because i have an effective virus detector
    answer 5: because that path sucked hard a s s (Robert Frost kicks yo a s s (0wned, yet again))

Furthermore: you cant answer questions with questions! (congraulations, youve been 0wned)

I totally agree on it all :D
  • OK, so don't use it, but I'd like to see you use XP on a 386 as YOUR main comp/OS.

That's no reason to keep the rest of us from using it.

-Q

PS. If you really don't like old software, why are you hanging around a site that's WHOLE PURPOSE is saving old software?
  • why the hell would i use a 386 for anything, i can trash pick a pII if i cant afford a new pc~ Fish and I smash 386/486's

-Mr. Clean

ps: i "hang out" on the site because

1. im a mirror
    2. the forum isnt only about old software
    3. i got nothing better to do

pps: r we having fun yet?
  • Now now boys, lets not fight...
  • We weren't :angel:

-Q
  • we was just play'n , i swearz , we dont mean no harm

(crap, fish is gonna beat me; send for help, end the sodimy)
  • ...riiight,,,,
  • That's didn't quite figure on this end...

-Q
  • Why would somebody have to buy a $600 dollar PC to type letters in word, under WinXP and Word2003, If your old pentium 100 does the same thing running windows 95 with word 97?

I'm not poor. A friend of mine is. I gave him a pentium 120mhz to print his school stuff and surf the internet. He is happy with it, and he does not need a big bad-ass P4, cause he doesnt play games.
  • Exactly, the whole point of ABW is that not everyone need/can afford a new computer every 2 years to run the new MS softwares.

-Q

PS. Thanx Mental, I forgot about that! :oops:
  • I wasn't trying to justify a starving family spending their savings on PC equiped with a P4 Extreme Edition, i was stating why I wouldn't, because I was asked, and i hate to sound like a stanch republican, but frankly I don't give a damn about some Fruck, i still stand by my postion

thank you and goodnight
  • meh, cant help this..... If they're starving, how would they have a savings?
  • in retrospect, it was a stupid response, but still 8)
  • Put it this way, over 100 diffrent conturys can't aford new computers or MS won't ship a current version of windows. I heard on TechTV that some little country in the middle east finaly were able to buy windows 95.
  • That's probably due to translation/US export restrictions, etc, etc.

I've heard that alot of those countries are starting to use a certian Operating System...:twisted:

-Q
  • Hey, when i went to bali, the majority if not 98% of internet cafes ran win95-98, not everything old is bad or useless, my tv is 20years old, my shoes are 3 (looking 10) years old, My Dog is 12 they all serve their purpose.
    James
  • MrClean wrote:
    Why would you use an outdated, old, non compatible version of windows?
    Why would you use the crappiest computer you can find?
    Why would you use something useful in no way possible?
    Why would you brag about having a shitty computer?
    Why would you store old os's (i only have them to mirror winworld)?
    Why not update yur system ?
    :twisted:

Older systems that may be of no use to you can be very useful to others. I've come across plenty of people who don't have or want Internet access. They have a computer to edit, create, and print documents. Why waste a crapload of money on the latest fancy system with an Athlon 64, Windows XP, 512MB RAM, Office 2003, etc., when they can do everything they want to do on a 486 running DOS 6.22/Win 3.11 with Word 6?

There's also plenty of people who grew up with the older systems, and still like to use them now and then, maybe for nostalgia reasons.

But more importantly, why do you care? No one is telling you how to run your system, so why do you care what other people want to do with their's? It's not your system, they could buy an Athlon XP 3200+ and try to run Windows 2.03 as the primary system on it if they wanted and it wouldn't make a difference because it's their system, not yours, they can do what they want with it. If people want to collect older computers and software, that's their business.
  • for one if u have an old computer...u would use it ive tried it on VPC and i kinda like windows 3.1x *scary huh*
  • i obviously care because its my opinion that there's no point in using old technology if you dont have to (as in, americans who have an armada of 486's, i was not initially talking about improverished people, but you people)
    the question i asked, in this thread is why you would do that, im not trying to shut anyone down here, i was just wondering why you would do it in the first place, thats all ... because i really dont care otherwise, and am no longer going to try to justify this thread because it seems the original idea of it has been lost to people assuming i meant, fuck 3rd world countries (not that i am too emotionally attached to Lybia) but in fact i meant, why not donate your 486 armada to someone that doesnt even have a computer (for those of you that have 20 or so unused computers)
  • I use old software with old hardware because it worked, when you told it to do something, it did what you told it to, not what it thought you meant to tell it... when i hit the power switch on a computer, i expect that computers power to go off... not tell the computer's OS to shut down... when i type something in a word processor, i don't want the word processor to popup a bubble that says "did you mean to say..." or just autocorrect whatever i typed, therefore screwing it up if i wanted it the other way... one other reason i use it... with all the people that believe that there is no reason to use the old systems, those of us who still do use them, and have the knowledge neccisary to support them, are becoming few and far between... i like being one of the people that can walk up to any computer, running virtually any OS and know that i can accomplish whatever task it was that i wanted to do...
  • Right now in my spare bedroom AKA the music room I have a 486 that I use for recording music., most of the hardware that is it in can only be found in most major music shops. Its complety made for recording. I would use a faster PC but I can't find any pentium based mobos that have 7 ISA bus slots. Also the hardware for recording costs way to much to upgrade to a PCI version.

Heres the specs.

Intel DX2 486 at 66MHz
    64MB ram
    2GB hard drive
    Trident 8900 video
    1x panasonic CD-RW
    Windows 95
    BOSS Stereo play back soundcard
    BOSS Preamp mixer
    Peveay Stereo record soundcard
    Ibanez Mix man
    BOSS EQ Mono 6 bit bass filter
    Peveay 4 track recorder
    Fender 14 device mix board

I get near CD quality with this equipment.
  • I use old crappy systems and outdated oS's simply for entertainment and education. I am starting to scare people with my OS collections but...it is limited primarily to windows. Tried expanding but the OS/2 downloads I did were difficult to use...well maybe I'll try downloading from someone else.