Mac Mini

2»

Comments

• If you stick a UNIX OS (Not OSX) on them, then yes.

But they're overpriced for a server. You could build an Athlon for less and have a good server.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I guess you could say that your paying to use a Mac, and they have different price structures. If you want to use a Mac it's a great deal, if you've got a more open field (Mac or PC), then a PC is probably a better deal.

And that's where the conversation went.

-Q
  • Simple really, Apple make it expensive, and people buy it because of its high price. It makes it look "posh"
  • And anyway "theres is nothing quite like a Mac". :puke:
  • Not really a deal. It's quite a normal price.

Once you add a monitor, some more RAM, a better HD (4200 RPM LOL), keyboard, mouse, speakers, your at like $800, $900. Same price as about an eMac.
  • Plus in some places you can find Macs in dumpsters. :)
  • Yeah, if you want some crappy 68K or Performa.
  • Still worth it.

-Q
  • Yeah, but people throw out PC's too.
  • We recently found a B+W G3/300 without vid card, CD, HDD, or RAM in the trash...
  • So? Considering the expense if bought, the trashed Mac is a bigger value then the trashed PC.

-Q

PS. Usually.
  • Right, well usually. I mean, I haven't found anything comparable to like a 1.0GHz PIII, but that's probably mostly because Mac's are much more rare.
  • I can build a mini itx pc for that price and use it in my car without having to bootstrap linux to run on a ppc.
  • Wasn't that the whole point of this thread? LOL
  • eh? i thought linux/ppc can boot like linux/i386.
  • nightice wrote:
    eh? i thought linux/ppc can boot like linux/i386.
    requires more shit to make it work, and it requires mac os to still be on there to install the bootloader, and if i wanted a mac, the mac os i would want completely off of there, i dont like osx at all (ppcs are nice and they should stick to only hardware and not do any software. they code as bad as microsoft. cant even make thier own core, have to use another.)
  • I would probably use a flavour of BSD, possibly Darwin if I even come across a Mac.
  • Heres to FishNET on the frist post on this thread.

Last year I was bored and wanted to emulate a old AMIGA system. Well on my search for the kickstart ROMS I found a few sistes that sold AMIGAs with PPC upgrade cards for $2,000.00. Werid thing was they were old AMIGA 4000 and 5000s that were striped down and fitted into AT tower cases with a PPC CPU card tossed in that only gave it 133MHz. They also had 20GB Harddrives, zip drives, etc etc etc... Now thats a waste of money for a old system but with new drives.