Mac Mini

edited January 2005 in Hardware
Just think, anyone buying a Mac Mini is basically paying $500 for my computer, the specs are pretty much the same, just the mini has 1/3 of the RAM that I have.

Now whats the point of paying $500 for a system thats extremely outdated? My system says like "BIOS Version some number - 2001" when I boot it, and some people are actually paying for something thats the same as my year 2001 system?

*UNBELIEVABLE*

Biggest ripoff ever.

But then again, anyone buying a system that crappy deserves to be ripped off I guess.

Comments

• Exactly.

G4 = ~ The same as a K7 Thunderbird.

That's like paying $500 for a 1.25GHz K7. That's 50MHz faster than Fish's PC.

Plus, the 9200SE = *SHIT*. With only 32MB of VRAM, WTF kind of games can you play on that. (Yes, there are Mac games like Q3).

Only 256MB also is a rip. Todays standards for a new PC require at least 512MB.
  • BODBOD
    edited January 2005
    Steve wrote:
    Todays standards for a new PC

they arent PCs

besides its a different arhcitecture, you cant compare like for like
  • why you hating on macs? who cares if its 500$? people have different purposes. theres alot of positives on the mac mini. and macs are not for gaming. they also operate on a different level
  • And of course, its a Mac! Its not a PC, PC have more software, demanding more power, of course equals more power. But Macs have little, and little requirements.!
  • *sigh*

PPC MHz != x86 MHz
  • edited January 2005
    Uhh.... That 1.2 GHz G4, it's about the same as a K7 Thunderbird 1.2GHz. That's like high-tech for 2001.

And OSX isn't helping either, it's a pretty sluggish OS.

PS - http://www.jolie.nl/weblog/images/kernelpanicMacX.jpg , or if you don't understand that, look at this version. http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic102.jpg
  • yea but still, the PC can do anything a Mac can do... Well most things...
  • I heard about a P4 2.4.

I can do that, too.

PS- http://www.dr-pepper.de/images/xp_boot/BSOD-WinXP.jpg
  • I have *NEVER* seen a blue screen ever since I got my >1GHz systems. Not a single blue screen. I only saw those back on the old 400MHz / 200MHz / 100MHz, and they most likely had small hardware bugs that NT doesnt like.
  • I have never seen a Kernel Panic on a Mac.
  • i have seen errors on fresh installs on Macs :-| but never on new PCs, yes my new comptuer might have done it, but the RAM was bad (Grr I HATE Kingston!)
  • We've all "seen" things on different machines, as far as arguments go, posting an image of a crashed up machine does LITTLE to advance your argument.

*Moved to HW Talk*

-Q

PS. I think it's not so much trying to get a good computer, I mean, it's blatantly obvious it's a lowend machine, but, it's a lowend MAC (Capitalized for emphasis).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Q wrote:
    We've all "seen" things on different machines, as far as arguments go, posting an image of a crashed up machine does LITTLE to advance your argument.

*Moved to HW Talk*

-Q

PS. I think it's not so much trying to get a good computer, I mean, it's blatantly obvious it's a lowend machine, but, it's a lowend MAC (Capitalized for emphasis).
    I agree. I just didn't get the point of posting a KP... all things crash at some point.

People are pushing down these systems... they're supposedly fairly responsive. I'll find out soon.
  • Hmm, maybe it's a good thing the Mactops HD didn't work in NAFTA ::D :wink:

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    They have 4200 RPM laptop hard drives. Sorry, but that's not responsive -- trust me, I know. LOL
    It's odd... some individuals are getting 4200, some 5400. I'll just have to see.
  • I have never seen a Kernel Panic on a Mac.
    i know somebody who bought a brand new G5 and on bootup, before anything loaded, a bunch of shit overlapped the screen saying cannot load module for Powermac G5 and it hung, after about 12 different macs, he went out and bought a ibm.
    i used to have a ibook but that thing refused to boot (it ran osx) and when it did, it took 5 min to do something that i could do on a p4 with the same specs in .5 min. i sent that bastard back asap. later, i kept getting emails saying that im a fucker for not giveing them another chance. (some mac group that got my address somehow)
  • mac mini... my precious mini is better.... (just because it can run windows properly...)
  • There is one thing for sure, i am never getting a mac, well a newer one, because i am not going to spend my money (c'mon! $1000 for an emac, geez, i could built a computer much better than that for that price, and one that is compatible with most of the apps in the world...
    If Apple would lower their prices to about maybe $400 or something like that, then i will consider buying one, but of course it IS apple, so it has to be expensive...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Hacked711: LOL Gotta love the Mac zealot groups. They tout the superiority of their shit, then when the truth is revealed they call you incompetent/an idiot/not deserving/etc.
    yeah they called me some demon and penguin fucker after that, and they thought sending worms and shit at me would make me switch back. how inmature.
  • woah, talk about mac-lovers...

I guess An apple Mac a day keeps the zealots away...
  • Sigh, overdone zealotry strikes again.

-Q
  • *sigh* reminds me of the Windows zealots that spam the Mac forums. Just like religious zealots that do that to one another, only less signifigant.
  • Zealotry SUCKS. I think we can all agree on that (I'm using the word in it's strongest sense, the one that's been primarily used here).

-Q
  • This has nothing to do with zealotry. It's just true.

The mini is a bad deal. Believe it or not, a G4 is just as fast as a K7 Tbird running at the same speed.
  • Steve wrote:
    This has nothing to do with zealotry. It's just true.

The mini is a bad deal. Believe it or not, a G4 is just as fast as a K7 Tbird running at the same speed.
    PC hardware != Mac Hardware
  • The only thing that Macs are good is in stuff like Photoshop. And it's not really a noticeable difference.
  • Iv'e heard they make good servers.