Calling all ppls with good, CURRENTLY NOT HEAVILY USED svrs!

QQ
edited February 2005 in Site Issues
OK, we need a stable, permanent host for Windows 98 SE. This is VERY popular so we need someone who has a good upload, good server, not too much on his connection already, and leech/DAP filters (This IS required, otherwise some DAPer will screw you and everyone else trying to get this).

The file is approximately 130MB.

Apply here, and thanx.

-Q

Comments

• ppl, out of experiance, this DOES get leeched, and it is possiable so much traffic will come that you will not be able to use the inet.
  • IM me an I'll make you an FTP account to upload
  • It's on my HTTP now, if anyone want's to try their hand http://wwsvr.bounceme.net/os/Windows98SE.rar It's going slow now cause I'm using my connection. Use something that can resume DLs if the connection dies or I get another pwr failure like I did a few minutes ago.

-Q
  • and leech/DAP filters <-- what is this...

and how can people leech it if they have to be a member here??????
  • chigowolfs wrote:
    and leech/DAP filters <-- what is this...

and how can people leech it if they have to be a member here??????

leech = makes 1000 connections for 1 file with DAP or another download accellerator

anyone can get the path to the DL without registering at wb.
  • They don't, this is for the general public, EG. The downloads section of WinWorld.

"leeching" in this context is connecting multiple times (EG. more then 2, which is the generally accepted maximum) and downloading @ full speed from all connections in order to get the file "faster". However this really slows down the line the server is on, and since most of us use home connections, it can be REALLY annoying. DAP, Download Accellerator ("Accelleration" is a common name for this practice) Plus, is the name of one of the more well known/infamous applications to do this.

-Q
  • I'd love to help, but I'm using Abyss. Can I limit the "Keep-Alive Requests" or "Maximum Simultaneous Requests" to leech limit?

PS- What about giving a few locations?
  • I got a relatively unused server, only putting out about 1.5 GB/day. I'm downloading SE and it'll be in the http://duffnet.serveftp.org/users/winworld/ directory.

~Duff
  • SSH, can you like install Apache on one of those medium-end machines you've got sitting around? Then you can have a seperate dedicated machine with leech filtering.

-Q
  • You mean in addition to my regular Abyss server or as replacement?
  • In addition to it. Like run it on port 80 and then have your router mask port whatever go to that IP address on port 80. Or just run it on some other port and forward that though. Just a thought.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    They don't, this is for the general public, EG. The downloads section of WinWorld.

"leeching" in this context is connecting multiple times (EG. more then 2, which is the generally accepted maximum) and downloading @ full speed from all connections in order to get the file "faster". However this really slows down the line the server is on, and since most of us use home connections, it can be REALLY annoying. DAP, Download Accellerator ("Accelleration" is a common name for this practice) Plus, is the name of one of the more well known/infamous applications to do this.

-Q

ok so basically I can limit to like 1 connection per IP... would something like that work as the filter? and would I need and http set up?
  • What do you all recommend for leech scripts on Apache?
  • I seem to recall mod_conn was specifically max connects per IP.

CW: That's generally how it's done, and we try and use HTTP if that's at all possible.

-Q
  • right, ive got mod_bandwidth and mod_throttle on my server, anyone know how to configure these?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Heh... when I was on dial-up DAP was god to me... though when it started getting more and more ad loaded I moved to star downloader. I used to do registry tweaks to open like 10 connections (though I noticed it was utterly pointless and stopped). For dial-up it made 4 connections average, but then again.... at only 5kb/s max, a dial-up user and dap isn't going to cause a strain on anyone but themselves.
  • i use star downloader for BIG files, generally because my connection likes to die every so often, but I only use the 1 connection anyways
  • Yea, 1 or 2 connects are fine, especially if you're trying to something big over a slow/unreliable connection. That's fine, we all know we're talking about the ppl who connect WAY too many times when downloading that are the problem here.

@ any rate, who'se willing to try this?

-Q
  • I only have an ftp, otherwise I would be happy to host it
  • anyway, doesnt connecting loads of times increase the risk of the file being corrupted, because there are more peices being put to together?
  • I do know that the download manager (I don't acellerate with it) I use (FD) sometimes up and freezes when "........building output file............" which kindof screws you, especially if it's a big file.

-Q

PS. Regardless of why, ppl do it and especially to 98SE.
  • I still cant figure out how to get the leech filter working
  • What're you doing and what's not working/not understandable.

-Q