PC boots but no picture or HD Activity...

edited February 2005 in Hardware
I just swapped the CD Burners in our Presario P3 and Duron 900, as the faster computer had the slower burner. I also put the ATI Radeon 9200 back in the Duron 900... My Dad liked having 128MB VRAM. Now when I turn it on, the monitor goes to standby (orange), and there is no HD activity. I also have to press the power button 3 seconds instead of just pushing it... I tried different cards and monitors and no luck... Could this be a case of ESD??? (ElectroStaticDischarge) I forgot to maintain contact with the case metal... Maybe I blew the whole thing??? Uh Oh! My Dad will be pissed... Someone Know what's wrong?

Nick

Comments

• You probably have your IDE cables mixed up. Most PCs do that when the IDE device is plugged in upside down.
  • They Do! I think I plugged in the CDROM wrong, not the HD Though...
  • unplug both and see if it works.
  • nope... Still does the same thing... I better be getting out my 233 DeskPro...
  • bad video card maybe...
  • Using 2 different ones?
  • You probably just bumped something that prevents it from working. The only question is whay. :-S

Only advise I can give is IDE and video card becuase that's the only things you changed.

Oh, and reset your BIOS. That should help.
  • How do I reset my bios? It doesnt show ANYTHING, not even a COMPAQ Splash Screen...
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    a COMPAQ Splash Screen...

UhO...

-Q
  • Check your IDE cables. While upgrading my memory, I found out that on my mobo, it was somehow possible to knock out the primary IDE cable while inserting a DIMM.
  • If all else fails, try reverting back to what was originally in there. If that works, then you've (Probably) been screwed by Compaq.

-Q
  • You reset the BIOS by either removing the battery is removing a jumper near the battery for a few seconds.
  • oh ok... i will try tomorrow...
  • he's fine about it... Ill reset the BIOS and if no go then I will either post computing.net or chat live to the HP/Compaq support guy...
  • Yea! I took all the stuff out to put in my DeskPro, and then I got a disk controller error, so I put everything back in the Presario, and after I disconected and reconected EVERYTHING it worked. I had to shut it down manualy and the problem happened again, but I removed the Front USB COnnectors and the Front Panel COnnectors and it worked. Maybe that was the problem... Whats this "your system has been changed dramaticly. You need to reactivate Windows before 3 Days" thing? I better get the antiactavation patch... Thanks for the help
  • I got a good one if you need it.
  • i just patched it.... Yea! This is the PC in the house to play ET...
  • Sounds like you had hardware conflicts if you had to remove things to get others to work. Why a hardware conflict would stop it from booting up at all I don't know, that part sounded like something wasn't seated right.
  • Sounds like the BIOS had problems detecting it... Making the boot process go slower.