Decent system?

edited March 2005 in Hardware
Alright, if I can get my parents to go along with this and 'finance' me in a sense, I might be able to get a decent laptop within my budget. Does this seem like a decent notebook?

Dell Inspiron 1150
Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz
256 MB DDR RAM
8x DVD-RW
40 GB Hard Drive
Integrated Graphics and Audio
Dell Wireless 1350 (802.11g 54 Mbps) + 10/100 Ethernet
14" TFT LCD Display
96 WHr 12-cell Battery
Windows XP Home
1 Year w/ CompleteCare

Price: $1,251.43 CDN w/ taxes and shipping

Keep in mind this will mostly be used for school purposes and out and about mobility, and I'm still deciding on certain features.

~Duff

Comments

• Arrgghh! It's a Dell!!

Apart from that Duff, it seems really good.
  • And its a pentuim 4, but as you said its for school work so it shouldnt matter
  • Get a Pentium M if you're going to spend that much.

If you want something cheaper, look at eMachines Athlon and Semprons.
  • Zenithus wrote:
    Arrgghh! It's a Dell!!

Apart from that Duff, it seems really good.

Lmao
  • Honestly, as much as I dlslike the Dell desktop design etc. I've actually never had a problem with the actual components. So I don't see that as a down side.
    As far as Pentium M goes, that puts me about $200 overbudget. And as far as eMachines go, their site doesn't show anything relating to laptops (I know at one point they sold them, but now?)

~Duff
  • why o why get the pentium M (fail)
  • ghjoigsdklhdlkjooj omfg stop stop~~~!!!11

Do not buy the 1150 or 5100 or 5150 or 5160. They're crap. I own the 5150, with the P4 3.06. Got it in Nov 2003. Almost $2000. Now they're selling for $500 to $800 on Ebay.

The heatsink gets crapped up with dust, your temps will soar to 70c and then the mobo will die. I am about to get my 4th replacement, instead I am getting a new computer from them. Holy shit, save yourself from this while you can. I was so stupid to buy from this series, I was just power hungry and dollar cheap. I would have been 100x happier with a half as powerful IBM. Save yourself. My 5150 is like 8 pounds and 2" thick and the plastic is squishy. It's an engineering nightmare. From an engineering student perspective, the designers should be shot. You ahve to blow compressed air into it once a week to keep it alive. Save yourself. Get an HP, Toshiba, Compaq, or Sony. Maybe eMachines or an Acer from www.newegg.com. I've decided to get everythign from NewEgg from now on- quick, prompt, lots of reviews, wide selection. They have Athlon's starting at $650 or so. Plus, the Wifi reception is poor. I brought home an iBook G3 from school and it had better wifi reception. Maybe you might want an iBook, you seem to like Macs.

Save youeself while you can. As someone at my school said, the consensus of most Dell users is that once you own one you never want to own one again.

Check out the pain of other Inspiron users over here at their own site - http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums ... sp_general
    In summary, no, not a decent system.
  • Hmm, that doesn't seem very good at all.
    I'd prefer a Toshiba over anything else, depending on the prices I find.

~Duff
  • I HAVe a dell laptop, and it gets soooo hot just running word / IE.
  • Mr. C wrote:
    why o why get the pentium M (fail)

Pentium M > Pentium 4
  • I have a pentium M system (see sig) and its great, Centrino systems arent THAT expensive, I paid
  • I really don't want to move to Canada, especially that I hear that you guys can't get stuff from NewEgg!
  • Roger wrote:
    Mr. C wrote:

Pentium M > Pentium 4
    Granite Rock > Pentium M
  • Mr. C wrote:
    Roger wrote:
    Mr. C wrote:

Pentium M > Pentium 4
    Granite Rock > Pentium M

LOL

My dad paid about
  • If more companies would sell Ath M's I'd get one. Unfortunately I was such a n00b when I got my Dell.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe he was misinformed and was trying to be funny by making up false things about the Pent M, comparing it to a physical rock.
  • I think he was trying to say that a piece of rock is better than one maybe?
  • edited March 2005
    edit: woah, wrong thread.
  • If I were you I would get me a good Alienware Laptop.

(drool)
  • jcmoor wrote:
    If I were you I would get me a good Alienware Laptop.

(drool)
    But they're so expensive and heavy!
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Mr. C wrote:
    Roger wrote:
    Mr. C wrote:

Pentium M > Pentium 4
    Granite Rock > Pentium M

Wow, talk about throwing terms around ...

1. It's Granite Bay, not "Granite Rock".
    2. Granite Bay is a Pentium 4 chipset. The Pentium M is a processor.
    3. You're comparing chipsets to processors?

He meant the actual rock, not a chipset, its just a coincidence that there happens to be a P4 chipset called granite bay.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    If I were you I would get me a good Alienware Laptop.

(drool)
    But they're so expensive and heavy!

Yea, I need relatively lightweight and inexpensive!!

~Duff