Hard Drive Brands

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Ok, if someone could answer really quickly... I know there is a debate usually over Maxtor or Western Digital..... but I found a deal... $50 (after mail in rebates) for a 120GB WD
Up to 120.0GB storage capacity
7200 rpm for fast read/write capabilities
Ultra ATA/100 interface
Up to 100MB/sec. data transfer rate
Huge 8MB cache buffer
8.9 ms average seek time
40-pin EIDE interface cable
Reduced physical access frequency allows high-speed data transfer without operational interference
Holds recent disk reads in buffer and fetches likely information before it is requested
Data Lifeguard Tools installation software and utilities with embedded error detection

This hard drive will be going in my dual so ATA/100 is actually a faster interface then it will need, the 8MB buffer is a turn on, no word of quietness but that's ok.

Comments

• Am I missing something, or have you not asked a question there?
  • I would say, go for the Seagate :D
  • Nothing wrong with the WD. :P
  • Maxtors are crap. they are unreliable and brake easily. Definitely go with the seagate or WD.
  • You == idiot. :P

Maxtors are geat.
  • I've had a Maxtor 20GB (2B20H1 or similar) in this machine for about 3 years now, works fine...
  • MY 120GB Maxtor has been fine for quite a while now.
  • I just got (for free :P) today a Western Digital 160 GB ATA-100 8 MB Cache, which almost the same as yours, minus 40 GB, and it's running near silent, and much faster.

~Duff
  • ATA-100? I'd have gone for ATA-133
  • It was free.

Beggers can't be choosers. :P
  • Steve wrote:
    It was free.

Beggers can't be choosers. :P

Exactly. I also got a new 512 MB stick of DDR RAM, which would of cost $60 CAD new.

In total, I would've paid $160 CAD + tax for the items I got today. That leaves my own money to get a better power supply, video card, amongst other things.
  • BOD wrote:
    Am I missing something, or have you not asked a question there?
    Eh... I may have left out a few key words... I basically wanted to know if it sounded like a good buy... plus I didn't add that it had a one year warenty. I bought it already... may get to test it before I go to work...
  • I'm unsure of the whole debate of the brands..... i don't really know if a certain brand is actually better or not then another....

i have 2 seagates, a 1.2 GB and a 40 GB, god knows how old the 1.2GB is, and it seems to work ok.... the 40 GB is new, i just got a little while ago...

i also have a western digital, 1.20GB... old... still works good..

and a Maxtor, 8.10 GB... i haven't got a clue how old that is... i got it free and it seems to work good... its in the server..

my old maxtor died on me.... so that makes me hesitant about maxtors.....

Matt only trusts Western Digital.... he has a 160GB WD in his PC.... i guess its good....
  • I've come to trust all 'cept Hitatchi this days...

lmao IBM...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've had a lot of problems with Segate drives, I had two broken ones, and a one that melted down over time, but now I have a 2GB Seagate in the server and it works fine. I have two Maxtor hard drives, but no problems whatsoever, a bit noisy though. My WD I've had no problems with, but I had a broken WD once.

Its like Tom says, its just luck with bad drives.