Leeches!

QQ
edited April 2004 in News & Announcements
Many sites are leeching off of WinWorld, and we need help!

What should we do about it?

How should be do it?

What does the community think?

etc, etc.

Please, post and ask. We'll be happy to discuss this.

-Q

Comments

• Protect downloads with passwords. If you want to download something, ask for the password in a subforum called "password requests"or something like that.
  • i say, change the name of the file once in a while, i did that when someone was leeching off me
  • Well, were getting HIGHLY distributed now, so it wont effect us much anymore :twisted:
  • i WOULD pASSWORD protect the FTP and have a User/pass that ONLY US MEMBERS know. :D
  • GUEST wrote:
    ONLY US MEMBERS

You're a member?

-Q
  • hahahaha owned....

Its not someone we know... thats the first post ever from that IP
  • i think the password one is a great idea you should use that ASAP but someone would have to be onlne to send the password toe the requester and we would need ALOT of passwords no two can be the same
  • Well heres a idea, in the phpBB options theres a thing that sends the new user a welcome email. We can setup that to send a password to our members. Also changing the file names would work also, have like a list of files on the FTP that would have like code names and what description of what it is. For a example

bravo=Windows3.1

But for it to work right we would have to change everything around like once every few weeks. Or make a directory in the FTP and change the label of the directory every few weeks.
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Well heres a idea, in the phpBB options theres a thing that sends the new user a welcome email. We can setup that to send a password to our members. Also changing the file names would work also, have like a list of files on the FTP that would have like code names and what description of what it is. For a example

bravo=Windows3.1

But for it to work right we would have to change everything around like once every few weeks. Or make a directory in the FTP and change the label of the directory every few weeks.

WE've decided that we'll just change the directory the downloads are in periodically, like when we notice a leech, we'll change it to /OSes instead of /OS... All of them and the DNSes changed the other day, which is keeping us leech free for the tme being.
  • Nooooooooooooooooo! No violence?? Noooooooooooooooooooo!
    I say we stab them! ;)
    Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Mr.Beanbag a.k.a Mr.Stabby
    http://www.rathergood.com/stabbypool/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file