Windows NT 3.x 3.1

2»

Comments

• setup 22 disk is buggy. even if inserted, still asks
  • The Windows NT 3.1 English ISO gets flagged as malware by McAfee.
  • I had noticed some of the 3.1 downloads were throwing false positives a while back. If anyone sees any actual issues with the content of the images, please let us know.
  • McAfee, so there's that right off the bat.

I've downloaded the 3.1 English ISOs from WinWorld some months back, compared them with other known sources and found them identical once the overpadding bytes were removed.

Unless and until someone posts the exact file AND claimed SPECIFIC malware "detected", I discount such claims. Invariably, when pressed - other show it was a "heuristic", and "suspected" variant of some "let's pull one from our arses to terrorize the sheeple".

I mean, yes, it can happen, but anti-malware softs know people will no longer question their integrity.

I wouldn't let an enemy use McAfee.
  • McAfee literally flags it as "Generic Malware.bj".
  • Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Workstation (3.10.511.1) (ISO) does not have boot floppy disk for cd-rom install.
  • Does anyone have original floppy images for that release?
  • edited March 7
    No. I do not.
    Reminder to downloader that upon mounting and starting the CD, it prompts you to create a boot diskette.

The site linked below has both 3.5 and 5.25 booters for that build, it would appear. I don't know if they can be coerced into sharing:

https://thecollectionbook.info/windows/nt-31/154
  • edited March 7
    Attached, from old-dos.ru is booter from build 3.10.528. I think they got it in turn from betaarchive:

Windows NT 3.10.528 (236-074-162) Setup Disk for CD-ROM Installation.vfd

Rename extension if needed of course to img, ima, etc.
  • Well lookie here! Attached is 5.25 boot disk for CD-ROM, files dated July 1993, which if my decrepid memory serves me, is the build 5.11 date.

https://archive.org/details/microsoft-windows-nt-3.1-setup-disks-disk-2-cdrom-install

Image looks correctly done. As stated earlier, rename extension to img, ima, vfd - whatever suits your fancy.
  • edited March 8
    NT 3.1 Service Pack 3 English, i386, MIPS, ALPHA. Separate zips for each processor type.
    NT 3.1 Service Pack 3 Swedish, i386, MIPS, ALPHA. Separate zips for each processor type.

archive.org took it down. Their reliance on incompetent malware scanning gets old fast.