WinWorldPC Classicish Userstyle [Dark Theme]

I've been working on a userstyle script that changes the colors to the old phpBB style while keeping the vanilla layout. I've only tested it out with Stylus on Firefox so far. You can try it out here.

Known bugs so far:
Some text boxes in the forums are unstyled.

Comments

• I don't think we are going to go back to the black background. But whatever this font is is beginning to hurt my eyes. Certainly could use some tweaking.

• edited November 2017

Its a standard, generic, everyday SS font.
    It does, however, have a shoot-ton of font smoothing that may hurt your eyes.
    However that is just his browser settings and ,well ,can be changed.

• The main motivation to create this theme is because I don't like most of my screen to be white. Also, I didn't change the font, just the colors.

• Nice work, rudimentary but you've basically created a rough draft of what our 'dark' theme will look like.

I know many people prefer a dark style, but I am holding off as we are looking into fully integrating the forums into the site which will likely change what CSS rules need to be modified.

For those that prefer the white design (based on the poll I have running, about 65% of people prefer the new one) don't worry, we'll hopefully have an option to toggle between dark and light (similar to say, YouTube dark mode).

• The Stylus version will work with Stylish right?

Anyway thanks for recommending Stylus, I absolutely detest Stylish's new UI. (Stylus is a fork of Stylish.)
  • I don't see why not @Erito17.

• edited November 2017

Works well; however, the text fields on the login page are not styled (they are still white).

@HorseBatteryStaple said:
    Its a standard, generic, everyday SS font.
    It does, however, have a shoot-ton of font smoothing that may hurt your eyes.
    However that is just his browser settings and ,well ,can be changed.

AFAIK Bootstrap by default does not enable webkit font smoothing. You will have to write some custom CSS to enable it. Enabling font smoothing will make the experience better (especially on high-DPI screens).

• I wasn't originally going to style the text fields on the login page and the search bar, but I went ahead and did it anyways (good call btw). I also added some other small tweaks (you can read about them in the release notes).

• Frankly, I prefer the "dark" star-field theme...
    But oh man the fonts they used to use gave me headaches.

• edited November 2017

Cool! Will check out soon.

• edited November 2017

@ubuntuxp

Nice work.

I adaped WinWorldPC Classicish Userstyle on Firefox.

The problem is that code is not shown correctly.

Here is screenshot.

• I just installed the script in Chrome and it messes up the text in the Twitter embed on the homepage. Other than that it looks good so far.

• @Totengeist I've seen the same error using Firefox 52.4 ESR on Windows XP, but not on Firefox 56 or 58 on either macOS 10.13.1 or Arch Linux. @ibmpc5150 I see the same problem, thanks for letting me know. I just pushed out an update to fix both bugs.

• @ubuntuxp

Thanks. Now it works well.

• @ubuntuxp Much better, but the Twitter link text is still unreadable.

• OK, now it should be fixed.

• I never had problems with the twitter link text, but maybe it's because I'm using Safari 11.

• edited November 2017

I've linked to this user style on Twitter and noticed a significant jump in the number of "installs". Nice work. Keep reporting bugs folks but keep in mind this is unofficial and maintained solely by ubuntuxp.

• As of now, everything seems to be working fine on Safari with the Stylish (not Stylus) extension. Kudos to ubuntuxp.

BTW, I created a dark theme style for WinWorld way before ubuntuxp created his, but I had no intention of publishing it. I'll try to find a screenshot of it-- but keep in mind that ubuntuxp's is definitely much better than mine.

• edited December 2017

I've found this strange transparency with the custom style enabled:

It appears on many forum dialogues, even the image uploader.

• Thanks for telling me @whistler2250, it's fixed now. Turns out I missed a variable with the menu background.

• Do you think we could maybe get the starry background again? ;)

• @ubuntuxp said:
    Thanks for telling me @whistler2250, it's fixed now. Turns out I missed a variable with the menu background.

Thanks, @ubuntuxp, I don't see that issue anymore.

• No @Scratch137, it doesn't appear to be on the server anymore, otherwise I would've added it early on.

• @ubuntuxp said:
    No @Scratch137, it doesn't appear to be on the server anymore, otherwise I would've added it early on.

You can find it on archive.org and convert it to a base64 URI for use in your CSS.

• stars_bg back in place.

• @calvinb said:
    stars_bg back in place.

What is the full URL to this file?

• Same as it ever was.

• Thanks @calvinb for restoring stars_bg. I've now updated the style to display it in the header on both the main site and the forum.

• This is very interesting...
    Jeeves, wheres my popcorn?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file