Command.com logo

edited November 2004 in Software
As I ask before forum crash, I want to change logo stored in command.com of win 95/98 and not use logo.sys.
Exist a way to do this ? :?
Thanks to all who help me and sorry my english. I write from Italy (bounce)

Comments

• All you want to so is replace the Windows 9X boot logo?

There are programs to do this such; I think theres one called Winlogo
  • WinLogo SUCKS, just change logo.sys. ALl you have to do is take the one that you want, make it a bitmap @ 640 * 480 with 16 colors and save it as logo.bmp. Rename .bmp to .sys, replace the old one, and restart!

-Q
  • Its 320 x 400 x 256
  • OK, I'll trust you to know what you're talking about.

-Q
  • Theres no logo.sys defaulty I think, Just stick the file on your root (C:)

The other ones like shutdown go in the Windows folder (EG C:\Windows)
  • logo.sys is the startup logo, logos.sys is the shutting down one, and logosw.sys is the safe to shut off one.

-Q
  • they have to be read only and system files i think...
  • Can't you just remove the access permissions? :?
  • yeah to edit/change it but for it to work its has to have those attributes...
  • Can't you just remove the access permissions? :?

This is NOT NTFS, this is Windows 98 with FATx.

-Q
  • I forgot that 98 dosen't have access permissions. I havent used it in years. Sorry for the false info.
  • I forgot that 98 dosen't have access permissions. I havent used it in years. Sorry for the false info.

Those were the days.
  • There is no command.com logo! The logo for Windows is in the logo.sys file. If you wanna change that just rename it to logo.bmp then open it up in Paint or Photoshop then Save Changes...not hard..
  • I think we kind of explained that above
  • No but I remember this thread before the board crashed....hes saying he wants to edit something in command.com and not logo.sys...seems like he knows what logo.sys is but is convinced theres a logo in command.com and he wants to know how to edit it.
  • Oh...that

Dont know...
  • The default logos are stored in, I think IO.SYS, but not sure...

-Q
  • i cant remember how i did it but once i got a logo on a bootdisk.. but i dont know how,,,,
  • On 9X bootdisks if you use SYS command, youll get a boot screen. Tahts becuase the default logo is in IO.SYS
  • the dos 7 bootdisk has a logo...
  • the IO.SYS must be configured to display the logo
  • wonder if reshacker can do that?
  • Just open IO.SYS in notepad and find the line with logo, change it the "1" I think to display the logo
  • might try that later, that is when i finally work out how the hell menus work in bootdisks....

damned batch files.... lol
  • Menus are simple, I used to do that on my XT, I got 2 old DOS 3.X manuals and this old WordPerfect/Lotus123/MS-DOS 6.22 handbook.
  • i'm slowly working it out.... im usin the windows 98 bootdisk as like a template...
  • Excused my absence but I had a weekend with my childrens far away from the PC :(
    The original logo of win 95/98 isn't logo.sys.
    Logo.sys is a new logo that can be personalized as you want.
    But if you take command.com of win95, use setver to change his version and copy in a system with win98 (root dir), when you restart you can see win95 logo and not win98 original logo !
    Now, as I can change original logo stored in command.com ?
    Probably it is crypted or compressed in command.com and non in standard .bmp format.
    This is my curiosity :?
  • I'm telling you that there is no "original" logo in command.com....its either logo.sys or IO.SYS...

they didnt make logo.sys so it can be personalized intentionally..its just a little trick that not many users know. Do you really think Microsoft wants you to change their startup logo?
  • Just open IO.SYS in notepad and find the line with logo, change it the "1" I think to display the logo

MSDOS.sys
  • Right but the real startup screen is in IO.SYS, there are tools to change it...

-Q