Why win1.01 crashes?

edited January 2005 in Software
Windows 1.01 fails to start in Dos 7.1, 6.22 and 5.0. What's the problem? And what dos version does it want to be installed?

Comments

• Windows 1.01 wants to run under DOS 5 or less, DOS 6 and up make it display ASCII trash.

-Q
  • It didn't run even under DOS 5.0! Maybe because I'm using VPC?
  • Did you install the additions? Try it without them.

-Q
  • I never install them using DOS. And also, they do not work on dos5
  • Hmm, I'd ask Fish about this, he uses VPC and might know something. I've never used it in VPC, only on my 386.

-Q
  • Just curious....

I know it works on DOS 5, but did you try using an earlier version of DOS?
  • Earlier versions of DOS would be better to use than even DOS 5. DOS 3.3 would be good for it.
  • I tried to install it on DOS 4.01, but no luck... Dos 3.30 fails to boot at all. Unsupported image format.
  • try to put the image onto a floppy disk and get VPC to use the floppy drove
  • If all you want to do is run Windows v1 to see what it looks like, then there is another way to do that. Nathan Lineback put together a boot-disk that contains Windows v1 and will boot straight into it. Here's the link:

http://www.toastytech.com/guis/win101disk.zip

I tried it once and it seems to work all right. Not extremely functional, I don't remember if it even finds the hard drive or not, but it is neat to look at once or twice.
  • Yes it sees hard disks, or @ least it did on mine.

-Q

PS. O no! It's Toasted Crap!
  • That BootDisk worked on a real PC, but did not on a VirtualPC. Thanks anyway...!
  • Slash wrote:
    That BootDisk worked on a real PC, but did not on a VirtualPC. Thanks anyway...!

It worked for me.

Oh well, maybe different programs for emulation programs.

I used VPC.
  • Slash wrote:
    I tried to install it on DOS 4.01, but no luck... Dos 3.30 fails to boot at all. Unsupported image format.

Try to download another copy of 4.01 or 3.3x...then use WinImage to extract it to a disk.

Remember, the images for earlier versions of DOS were based off the old 720K floppy disks so you might have to convert a 1.44MB floppy into a 720K floppy...WinImage can do that too. Also make sure that your using hardware designed for it. A 286, 100MB or so hard drive, at least 1MB of RAM..
  • 1MB RAM??

Windows 1.01 needs like 256K and itll run fine on just 640K

And if you use WinImage you can make a 720K image 1.44Mb and use a 1.44Mb Floppy.
  • 1MB for speedy performance, i always forget the numbers for RAM under 1MB..
  • Just take your Megabyte numbers and change them to Kilobyte 64K, 128K, 192K, 256K, eTC
  • yeah thats exactly what i was thinking...wasnt all too sure tho.
  • Windows 1.0x can run off of 1.44MB diskettes, however if you want to make it authentic, better have a 5
  • Windows 1.01 is basically useless...you just gotta laugh how they heavily promoted Windows Paint and Windows Write. lmao...
  • Yea and OpnGEM is FAR better as a filebrowser.

-Q
  • Nevertheless, VPC is quite buggy. It has some bugs when emulating some old OS.
  • its also very slow
  • Hmm...no... I haven't noticed any slowdown in VPC.... VmWare is truly slow
  • VPC is slow.....but not too slow...you just need a real good system to run it.
  • well in VPC it took me 2 hours to install XP it only took me an hour to get it on here in the first place...
  • I sacrifice over 80% of my ram, it runs just like a real PC, I installed the trial of Win2k3 in 30 mins. I used an ISO image too though...
  • When I got Win2.03 image, from fdd5-25.net , it took VPC a couple of minutes to detect that not standard - 720K image.
  • I got Windows 1.01 to run under MS-DOS 5 with Bochs, but not VMware.

I always use 50% of my ram in VMware. (50% = 512 MB) (I have 1024 mb of ram, and a 4 gig page file)
  • It runs in DOS 6.22 when you use SETVER!!!

setver win100.bin 3.30