Windows ME or Windows XP starter

edited October 2004 in Software
Which is the better os, winme or winxp se

Comments

• XP Starter

At least there you get stability
  • Actually none of the above is my choice.

I would rather download Longhorn.
  • err XP
  • I choose ME.
  • I don't think I've ever used ME, but based on the negative reviews it's earned from just about everyone, it sounds like I would want to avoid this one. (But what is so wrong with ME, other than its' stability?)

And as I said in another thread, XP Starter Edition sounds quite useless for getting any serious work done. If you're running a browser, an instant messaging program, and an MP3 player, then you're already at your limit. Many users would not have a problem with this, but I certainly would.

Put me down as another "neither". lol
  • Yea 3 programs would SUCK, I would go though that soo fast. They're probably gonna rig it so that Microsoft ones don't count but anti MS ones (Ffx, Tbd, AIM, etc) do. Well regardless, I never thought I'd say this, but Windows ME.

-Q
  • windows me, i need to run multiple programs
  • Someone will come up with a hack sooner or later that lets you run unlimited programs, therefore I chose XP, even though I like high resolutions...
  • Someone will come up with a hack sooner or later that lets you run unlimited programs, therefore I chose XP, even though I like high resolutions...

yeah 800x600 is too big looking on my monitor, so i choose me.

I heard someone already made a hack

:? That was fast
  • Probably just TweakNT 1.22!

-Q
  • The better is XP, of course.
  • Yeah XP is loads better than ME, but this is about XP Starter vs. Me.
  • Xp starter is a three-tasking piece of crap.
  • Don't say its a piece of crap just YET. WHo knows? It might be a pretty good stripped down version of XP.
  • I believe that Russian hackers will make a patch that will erase that 3-apps limit and make from this true Windows XP.
  • this might work good on handhelds
  • I pick ME because you can play 90% of the older games and also it isn't as bloted. Although ME is just like XP. Unstable, bloted and sucks more memory then a whore sucking a golf ball thou a garden hose.
  • XP seems to run just fine for me.

It never seems to use more than 300MB of my 640Mb.

Sure, 2000 can use 150Mb of RAM, but whats the difference? I still have like 300Mb free if I use XP, that good enough for me.
  • XP never uses all my ram
  • You only got 128Mb, Im sure tcp has more
  • im sure he has, but im maxed out....
  • I would go for Win2K, but if i had to choose between ME and XPSE, i would go for ME.
    As I am typing this i got loads of apps running: AIM, MSN, Mozilla, Winamp, WINLIRC, SigX, NAV, Bleutooth app and so on...
  • well i've never used ME but it would sure beat some stupid 3 app limit besides i'm sure you could undjust ME like you can 98 and it'd be fine but like i said i never used ME but from what i've heard its just about the worst windows ever made.
  • You're my idol BlueSun... You didn't bash ME.... Well kinda didn't.
  • i try to reserve judgement on things i haven't actually used, but i would never use XP starter cause a 3 app limit is the worst idea ever but ME could maybe work, if its anything like 98 it'd be fine with a few minor adjustments
  • ME isn't that bad. I've used it for about a year. Its probably even more in my opinion, stable than Windows 98.
  • well if so then i guess its doing its job, right? the whole point of making ME was to be more stable then 98 right?
  • I would rather have ME than XP Starter. At least you get a full OS.
  • raDeon wrote:
    I would rather have ME than XP Starter. At least you get a full OS.

That's very true. Good point there raDeon.