Using Windows 7 beyond 2023...

2»

Comments

• The way I see it, AI should be seen as a luxury, not a necessity for everything like what the whole internet has become. Through time it'll make the average Joe even lazier.

That's now another reason why I will switch to macOS sometime in the future (as long as that doesn't force anyone with AI that is).
  • edited January 15
    Well sadly macos is going that way too
    IOS already includes ai auto analysis and I believe those went into macos. For instance, that "for you" tab in photos uses ai to look over your pictures to do nonsense with it.

Speaking of abusive practices, thank you Microsoft for loading "Azure Arc Setup" onto the 4 Server2022 machines in my office with a recent, mandatory automagically installed update, and two of them were 50% done with a 3 day backup process. Ugh.
    But yes, an "optional" component loaded and installed and provides nothing except another ad to use Azure services on an os that should be designed for minimal downtime.
    And you have to restart the servers to uninstall an optional component that shouldn't have been loaded in the first place. When the servers already got restarted to apply the update.

And then some people scoff at me when I have 2012R2 on my two critical home boxes for max reliability. I'd use 2008R2, however a bunch of programs dropped 7/2008R2 with 2012R2 being the minimum.
  • edited January 16
    "Insidious" and "relentless" That's how I would characterize Microsoft's and others approach.

If say, 30 years ago, a software company tried to load an app with adware, or spyware, they would be danced out of the room by their ear. That in fact is what happened to uTorrent and some FTP apps (and a host of others) when they attempted excactly that techique.

So it's a form of the Tale of the Boiling Frog - if you put it in a pot filled with pleasantly tepid water and gradually heat it, the frog will remain in the water until it boils to death.

Each and every time I use Windows 10, this stupid flyout takes over half my screen when I hover over the Windows button. And on the right side, a thing that looks like a tab on my web browser, lurks, waiting to suck up my brain matter with useless ads, questionable "news" weather, etc.
  • edited January 16
    Reminds me of the "Candy Crush" debacle a bit ago.
    Even with fucking Enterprise LTSB, with policies to disable Store etc, it STILL kept finding its way back in.
  • @SomeGuy mentioned finding himself more and more needing to use W10 for the internety of things.

I have been dual-booting W10 and Win7 since W10 1510 (what came on a new HP laptop. (Silver is posted to Internet Archive).

Now underway is another dual boot machine, this time, W10, and Windows Embedded POSReady 7.

Biggest reason: POSReady 7 does not require activation. It has a funky startup screen - so what? It has a plain jane UI - so what? It does everything Win7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise does (that I'm interested in).

Updates don't interest me. Latest malware softs don't interest me - haven't used them since XP days. And yes I do go to risky old ftp dumps, and open questionable files - AFTER doing a little "due Diligence".

The way I see it - there's but 2 ways to life your life - and that applies to the digital era: either accept the screaming of gurus fantasticals and fanaticists - or force yourself to make informed choices every step of the way, every day.

Yes, I sleep well.

Have I been bit by my adventures? Yes, but as the old timer said when he recounted how he was bitten by a rattler. "And then what happened?! asked the greenhorn.

"Snake died" said the old timer.
  • edited January 18
    @yourepicfailure Reminds me of the "Candy Crush" debacle a bit ago.
    Even with fucking Enterprise LTSB, with policies to disable Store etc, it STILL kept finding its way back in.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but if you have Candy Crush on a LTSB/LTSC system, you have done something wrong. (posted from an LTSC 2021 system, btw. No candy crush here)

@yourepicfailure Speaking of abusive practices, thank you Microsoft for loading "Azure Arc Setup" onto the 4 Server2022 machines in my office with a recent, mandatory automagically installed update, and two of them were 50% done with a 3 day backup process. Ugh.

Yes, I do find pushing stuff like that to servers (or really, any OS for that matter), to be a particular egregious practice. However, if it rebooted during the middle of a backup to install an update, you have something misconfigured. Check your GPO's.

The only Windows systems that I have that reboot on their own to install updates, do so because I've configured them that way. That includes Windows 10/11 clients as well.

I have a couple of lab systems that are play around OS's, so if they reboot, I don't care. And there's 2 windows servers in a DMZ network that I have auto rebooting for updates because I don't feel like VPN'ing into that network every patch Tuesday, and since they're hosting public facing services, I don't want them sitting unpatched until I have time to get to them.
  • edited January 18
    I have nothing misconfigured, and remember I'm not the only person working with them. I emphasized that with the part that references the intern in the previous rant.
    Now if you want to say that everything I did is wrong then please post the solution that worked for you.
    It is useless to say "you did something wrong" without saying "you should've done this instead."

As for Candy Crush, I may be wrong whether these are LTSB or standard enterprise.
  • edited January 25
    Yes, you're right. I should have provided my configs as an example.

On Windows servers, run sconfig, then press 5 for update settings, and then press 3 for Manual.

For Windows clients, I apply these GPOs (the ones that say enabled):

Particularly, the no auto restart policy.

Here's a screenshot from one of my Windows 10 systems that's been sitting, waiting for me to install updates for 35 days:

As for the candy crush thing, yes, I'm fairly certain the normal enterprise edition still includes it. I recommend LTSC unless there's something you have that requires the Microsoft store.

I'm very curious what the LTSC version of Windows 11 will look like. Supposedly, it's coming.