[OFFER] Windows 3.0 on 360KB Disks, No 3.0a

I'm here to bring the long-requested Windows 3.0 360kb no a version of MS Windows 3.0.
I'll Put the link right down here: ---> https://www.mediafire.com/file/iue790n6wbj3s5d/Microsoft_Windows_3.0_%285.25-360k%29.7Z/file <--- (FILE Uploaded by 16BitOnNewTechnology)
I tried to install it for proof, but it's just stuck at operation fail at ms-dos install.

Comments

• The material uploaded in the link is at least not an image directly dumped from the original diskette, but a rough image made by collecting files.

What I posted in the link below was a direct dump from the original diskette and outputted as a file list, and it matches Microsoft's information.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/6377/windows-3-0-on-360k-disks

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/138795#Comment_138795
  • edited June 2023
    @ibmpc5150
    Didn't see that sorry, Didn't know that the files had to be put in the correct disk to be a legit copy
    But still now got to install it and heres a couple of screenshots.

• edited June 2023
    For what it's worth, there's a copy on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/windows-3.0-360-kb-disks . But there are some discrepancies, eg. SETUP.INF is smaller than in both DIR dumps provided above... perhaps the archive.org copy is OEM or something?

Edit: It says "For DOS Systems", so it appears to be upgrade.

Edit #2: It's identical to the one posted above, that ibm5150 claimed was not dumps of the original disks, something that has now been demonstrated to be false by the find on archive.org, which has photos of the box and a scan of the User's Guide.

In fact, it appears it's the very same disk images, repacked. And they have no signs of tamepring. Furthermore, SETUP.INF confirms WIN.CNF on Disk 1, so these images are confirmed to be original, they just differ from the listings by Microsoft and ibmpc5150 because they're the Upgrade images while Microsoft and ibmpc5150 have the non-Upgrade version.
  • I just did a further comparison of these disk images with the listing by Microsoft and ibmpc5150 - so it turns out the only differences are disks 1, 2, 14, and 15, and at that, mostly the order of the files. The only file actually different between the two is SETUP.INF... perhaps ibm5150 could upload his so we can compare the two and see where they differ?
  • Just in time, a 15-disk version of Windows 3.0 is being sold on ebay. We encourage you to purchase and test yourself if you wish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325708127426?nordt=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384715936872?nordt=true
  • edited August 2023
    - ibmpc5150: Are you seriously asking me to purchase an entire floppy set for one single file (SETUP.INF)?

I also no longer have a floppy drive (since 2018, really), and even that was 3.5", so I wouldn't be able to do anything with those floppies, anyway.
  • No floppy drive? Buy one, better yet buy a dozen! :)

Lots of people on this site, including myself, buy floppy disks and archive them.

Verification of releases can be important, but verification is always better when there is more information - Flux level dumps, label scans, box scans, document scans, etc.

It is not just a single file either, but verifying the layout of the entire disk including boot sector, FAT, file order, date stamps, deleted space, and so on.

Problem here is:
    1: Sellers want a bit too much for those disk sets.
    2: It is not 100% clear if those are the 3.0 or 3.0a version, or perhaps even OEM. I'd hate to buy a set and find out it is the same as the one I already have.
  • I'm only providing the right information, to prevent the truth from being distorted in an attempt to misrepresent it over the years.

Personally, I collect non-dump files directly from the original diskettes and manually create a messy disk image as if it were the original.
    I don't like action.

Please note that a disk image created by collecting only files is completely different from a disk image dumped from an original diskette.

I compared the original diskette and the dumps, and the closest one is Disk 9, and the rest of the files have different contents/arrangements.
  • edited August 2023
    > Lots of people on this site, including myself, buy floppy disks and archive them.

Yes, and that's fair. If I could afford a 5.25" drive, the hardware to use it, the disk set, *and* it was worth it, I gladly would. But just to get SETUP.INF? Sounds a bit overkill.

> It is not just a single file either, but verifying the layout of the entire disk including boot sector, FAT, file order, date stamps, deleted space, and so on.

That's true. But, in the absence of full disk images, at least having all the files would be an improvement.

> I'm only providing the right information, to prevent the truth from being distorted in an attempt to misrepresent it over the years.

The problem is, you never provide any means to verify that information. If you provide information, it's up to you to back it up in ways we can verify, not "oh here's one disk set for sale, go and purchase it". Not to mention that clearly, not all disk sets match yours, as is clear from the one on archive.org, so what if both of the eBay ones end up beign like that? Then I would have wasted my money purchasing something that I already had.

> Personally, I collect non-dump files directly from the original diskettes and manually create a messy disk image as if it were the original.
    I don't like action.

Original media are getting ever scarcer. Floppy disks don't last forever, and not all of sets get sold, either. And real-life archaeologists, historians, etc. do that all the time as well. Sometimes, a reconstructed copy is the best we can get.

> Please note that a disk image created by collecting only files is completely different from a disk image dumped from an original diskette.

Yes, that's true. But, in the absence of an original disk image, at least having the contents is already an improvement.

> I compared the original diskette and the dumps, and the closest one is Disk 9, and the rest of the files have different contents/arrangements.

And I compared the disks with your arrangment, and I posted my conclusion above. Now, I didn't compare the order of the files, that's true, but that's because I can't, for obvious reasons. And I can't comapre their contents, either, though I would presume all the files except for SETUP.INF would be identical to those in the known copies of Windows 3.0 - it's, after all, the exact same piece of software with a different disk layout. And you refuse to upload the SETUP.INF, so I can't know what differs between the two, which I'm curious about since I have no idea what on Earth would add about 300 bytes of extra content.
  • Firstly, @Iori : some good sleuthing on your part, and I like your archeologist analogy.

Anyway, generally, and just to whoever reads on, I'm reminded of one of The Matrix movies - the last one I think - and the Oracle asks the Architect what he's going to do, now that Humans are free to eff up their lives any way they please, and that in essence, he himself might not exist.

And he replies: "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

That's the way I see software, texts - all of this stuff we and others have created. Any form of it is better than no form of it. WE become informed about who we were and what we were doing - that's why the libraries - great and small exist.

I do not ever come here (WinWorld) with expectations. I expect each contributor and "question asker" alike participate to add to the whole of this collection.

Some here with their flux machines amaze me. It's so far beyond what I was able to do in the 80s and 90s. However, my days of interest in floppies are gone. All those box sets I collected, all the stuff I got from warez gurus in other countries, the tools, the tricks, gone too. (big nasty fire)

But still, I like browsing and playing with the floppy based stuff in virtual machines.

I have no idea what ultimate value those flux images serve - except perhaps to a really dedicated archivist. I'm happy with files that work, but even happier with an *.img that I can mount in a VM and tinker with the app.

Coming here, or IA, is for me like going to a library of books or a record shop with 45s in the scuffed jackets in plywood bins. It's just.....cool.

When I can add to the collection, it makes me feel good. When others add, that makes me feel good. Just being able to see something again, or that I couldn't afford "back in the day.

I think it's most unfortunate that some believe that asking a question is a form of personal attack. And I leave it at that.
  • Since last night, I have discovered new evidence that may point at ibmpc5150 being in fact right - I read through the entire SETUP.INF of this copy, and it mentions 16 disks, which matches 3.0a, but not 3.0, which indicates that someone blindly copied the extra disk entries from 3.0a's SETUP.INF.

So this may indeed be a well-crafted fake - recreated disk image with a recreated SETUP.INF, with someone else's manual scan added to the archive.org upload, to make it look more legitimate.
  • So...the plot thickens. The links posted earlier are for Upgrade disk sets, not new install Retail.

Anywho, looks like 360k disk sets are nearly unobtainium, since the retail box packaging infers/suggests that 360K disks can be obtained through microsoft.

And it suggests to me, that no one on this forum has the actual SETUP.INF, even though one might have believed they did.

Just saying....
  • I have the May 1990 release of Windows 3.0 with the non-A release on 360k 5.25 floppies that I imaged off a Greaseweazle with artwork. How do I upload this to WinWorld by the way?
  • Very nice. Place the files on a hosting site like Mega or Dropbox and either post a link here or send me a link via private message on the forum, and I'll try to get it processed as soon as possible.

Please include either scans or readable photos of the floppy disk labels.
  • @CSmeds99

Thanks very much!
    All disks are dumped perfectly as same SHA1 with mine.

Now it is verified!

*I dumped it in Feb.05, 2014.
    I introduced the file list and screenshot in 2017.