Upgrade from 3.11 to ME?

I have MS-DOS 7.1 installed on a computer and it currently has Windows 3.11 on it.
I want to install Windows ME on it, but since it's pretty new it won't work from a vanilla ME disk. I had to install FreeDOS' DVD driver in a VM and flash it onto it's disk, so I'd prefer to use an upgrade disk. I've tried using and upgrade CD for ME, but it asked for a "qualifying product". I then selected a Windows 98 OEM cd and it worked, but it then complained that Windows 3.11 is too old to upgrade.
From the win98 upgrade CD it asked for a "qualifying product" and I don't know what it wants so I can't do anything with it.
And a Windows 95 Upgrade/Install disk doesn't work at all, and it starts complaining about Long File Names/Large Disk Support or something.

Any ideas on how to get WinME/Win98SE on this?
For reference, It's a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5545

Comments

• Upgrading Windows is a sure way to get a terribly buggy and unstable system. Best to not even try it. Just start fresh with a clean install.

I don't understand what you're saying about DVD driver problems, but it was common to just copy your Windows disc to a second partition on your hard disk and run setup from there. You could use a bootable Linux disc (or USB drive) to do the copying if needed. Choose a fresh Windows install, not an upgrade.