What was the last version of windows to run in standard mode

2»

Comments

• sewing machine? WTF?
  • Q wrote:
    If/When I get the RAM expansion for the sewing machine I'll try and make that a svr.

-Q

i think Q's gone crazy lol
  • LMAO I knew this would happen
  • Yes, Windows for workgroups 3.11 came before windows 3.11. WFWG was meant for buisness and the other version was meant for home use. Microsoft did not plan do do a home version of 3.11 but the stability of 3.1 was just too horrible to get away with. It was the worst of all windows versions with multiple crashes a day.

I'm not sure what Justin meant by "standard mode" but if you mean windows on top of dos, Bill lied when he said that windows 95 did not use dos. In fact, their is a method of seperating dos 7 out of windows 98 and installing windows 3.X so you can run either on the same partition.
  • Standard mode, this comes from an OS programer, is a non-protected mode OS. Protected mode is something that was added on to a 386 CPU. It allows General Protection faults and linear registers. Un-Real mode aka Standard Mode is across from real and Protected mode. the registers are not all messed up so, it can still use BIOS interrupts, but the A20 line, or upper memory, is usable. This worked sort of, but is very unreliable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Standard mode is just as like protected mode.
    Enhanced is like a multitasknig extension of it.
  • Joel wrote:
    Microsoft did not plan do do a home version of 3.11 but the stability of 3.1 was just too horrible to get away with. It was the worst of all windows versions with multiple crashes a day.

Worst of all windows versions.... I thought ME would be higher up then 3.1, but yes WFWG was more stable.
  • It has a differnet name, because MS is weird in naming things.

Real = Sub 386 days
    Standard = 386
    Enhanced = 486
  • Tomchu wrote:
    If it's equivalent to protected, why does it have a different name?
    IBM called it protected, MS (as usual) called it enhanced.
  • Sure I don't know what 486 can do that 386 can't??
  • I have NO idea as to processor modes. I expect someday to learn it...

-Q
  • That means you haven't used a computer in early 1990s... Well, now that knowledge is not needed.
  • Knowledge of CPU modes is not necissary, unless you are writting low level drivers or your own os. ;)
  • I know them all but I never used that information... guess it's useless nowadays.
  • this topic is out of hands
  • no i think that would be you, this topic is OLD, you shouldn't post to old topics unless you can add new and usful information, saying that its out of hand is not usful information
  • /me smells a spammer
  • No good can come of this.......
  • Anonymous wrote:
    hey guys just a quick question , what was the last version of windows to run in standard mode, thanks guys ... justin
    windows for workgroups 3.11 didnt have standard mode
  • There are actually these versions of Windows:

1. Windows 3.10
    2. Windows for Workgroups 3.10
    3. Windows for Workgroups 3.11
    4. Windows 3.11

Of these, Wfw 3.10 was so slow, that it was dubbed 'windows for warehouses', such that it might idle its times on warehouse shelves.

Windows 3.11 was released mainly as an OEM release, basically a reduced and repacked version of Windows 3.10.

All of these will run in standard mode, given the necessary files. These necessary files were included in all versions except wfw311.
  • OK, before someone else drops a bomb, minor note: This forum had a disastrous failure and later recovery, so there is a two year post gap (2005-2007). As a result of this, some threads (Like this one) appear one space below much newer ones.

Since some people dislike old threads being brought up, you may wish to review the dates to ensure you're not giving advice to someone who asked a question two years ago.

-Q
  • eugrus wrote:

No... WFWG ran only in 386 Enhanced mode. 3.11 regular was the last to run Standard. And 3.0 was the last to run Real mode.
  • Seriously? What is the point of resurecting old threads? I'm sure the starter of this thread is long gone from this forum.