Hard drive question

Would my motherboard (Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset) support a 80gb hd? I want to get one and have no clue as to if it supports that high of a hd.

Comments

• That is exactly Nemo's Motherboard... Is supported even 120Gb ATA 100 HDD!
    Sure it will
  • Thanks a bunch Slash. :)
  • You're welcome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know in Award BIOS v4.51 it will work.
    In 4.50 I sure it won't cuz it cannot recognize >2GB drives.
  • Would my motherboard (Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset) support a 80gb hd? I want to get one and have no clue as to if it supports that high of a hd.

Yeah it'll work. Just install some kind of overlay if it doesn't. Hopefully its a Maxtor :) .
  • Roger wrote:
    Hopefully its a Maxtor :) .
    Why do u hope it's Maxtor? If the mainboard has v4.50 Award BIOS, it won't detect large drives, not depending on HDD model.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    It depends on your BIOS -- the hardware itself should support it though.

Slash: He didn't mention his motherboard make/model.

I found the model #: ASUS AS97127F
  • Slash wrote:
    Roger wrote:
    Hopefully its a Maxtor :) .
    Why do u hope it's Maxtor? If the mainboard has v4.50 Award BIOS, it won't detect large drives, not depending on HDD model.

Uhh you read my post wrong... I was just hoping it was one. Because I like Maxtors and they come with overlay in case if it didn't work.
  • Ah, I like Maxtors too...
  • I bought the hd. Here is the specs on it:

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only

- Specifications -

Capacity: 80GB
    Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
    Buffer: 8MB
    Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
    Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
    Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
    Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Total price with shipping: $61.49
  • Hmm... did it work?
  • ASUS AS97127F is the Termal Monitoring chip. You probably have a P2B series board. If you have the P2B-f (like I have), im pretty sure it supports >80gb drives with the latest bios revision (1014BETA003).
  • Slash wrote:
    Hmm... did it work?

I haven't got it yet. It is being shipped to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wen payday comes im after a 160GB :D
  • Yeah, the ATA100 PCI card will definately increase the performance, since I bet that system only has ATA33... 66 at the most.
  • Well, I got the hd but win98 can't see it so it looks like I will be waiting till I get all the other components together before I am able to use it.
  • Correction: my motherboard now sees the 80gb hd. I played around with some jumper settings so now my comp sees it. (woot) I had to set the cd drive jumper to master instead of slave.
  • Huh? It did not work as slave? Why?
  • Did you have some kind of CLJumper on it?
  • I had the hd on the secondary ide cable and the cd drive as the primary slave. I now have the 2gb as the primary master and the 80gb as the primary slave. The cd drive is now the secondary master and I had to set it's jumper from slave over to master before win98se would see it.
  • It should work on slave too...