Will there be Windows 2000 SP5?

edited October 2004 in Software
Will there be Windows 2000 SP5? What do you think?

Comments

• i hope they do
  • If MS do not continue to develop 2000, I'll be forced to use Linux, I don't want to bloat my computer with stuff like XP and Longhorn.
  • what about 2003?
  • 2000s dead. Im pretty sure support ends for it in 2005.. which would make it... ABANDONWARE!!!!!!!! But yeah grow up and use XP.
  • I dont think 2000 sucks as XP is based on it but as i like XP i voted for the 3rd option. :P

Richard
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hmmm... seems fine as it is to me.
  • I think their might be a sp5, seeing how lots of people still use it and if they find enough bugs they will probly release one.

IF they do releace sp5 that will probly be the last sp released for it.
  • I doubt MS will release SP5. They're more focused on XP/2003...
  • I don't really care because I like XP better. As long as they make XP SP3, I will be happy.
  • I might stay with XP even if Longhorn comes out.
  • Security Updates yes. But Service Packs are still a question.
  • 2000s dead. Im pretty sure support ends for it in 2005.. which would make it... ABANDONWARE!!!!!!!! But yeah grow up and use XP.
    So, I am really worrying whether MS are not going to release ServicePack 5... Then I won't "grow down" so much to use XP... I'll install Linux... some kind of it... probably Mandrake 10.1
  • Yeah, but if they stop to develop 2k, I think very soon no program will run in 2k... like now in nt3.51...
  • So, I am going to install Mandrake 10 as my second OS.
  • Slash wrote:
    So, I am going to install Mandrake 10 as my second OS.

Why? Have fun.....

But as Tomchu said, you will be back to windows in no time.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Just because it might not have SPs released for it doesn't mean it becomes a bad OS. :P

So does that mean that 2000 wont be ABW until 2010?
  • Tomchu wrote:
    You do that. :P

You'll be back in Windows in no time.
    That will be a very important decision in my life. I don't know whether I'll use lilux as my 1st OS, but if I accept that decision, I will NEVER come back to Windows. I know Linux pretty well, I know where to find software for it... So what's the problem?
    When I need some windows, I'll install it in VmWare.

In whole, MS won't live too long. Some statistic say that generation is tired of Windows and getting bored with it. So the OS of the future will be Linux... MS will be still popular in recent 3-4 years... but Longhorn will be the last their OS.
  • Longhorn will in no way be Microsoft's last OS. And Linux is in no way the future. Thats saying that drivers written by fat guys in their basement are better than the ones made by professionals who do it for their job.
  • MS will die in 5 years cuz theyre suck. OpenSource is our future!
  • If Microsoft sucks so much, why does their OS make up more than 90% of the computer market? Generally if something is bad, people dont use it... Opensource will never be as big as a multi-billion dollar company, mostly because the programs written for it are absolute slow shit that crash all the time.
  • MS have money... and MS-DOS was an excellent OS... It was 10 years ago... when they took market in their hands...

I think 90% of WIndows users prefer Linux, but forced to use Windows cuz there are no apps or games for Linux...

When we all come together, uninstall Windows from our PCs, and install Linux, there'll be much more soft for Linux... And it's all free! Isn't that good?

All that m$ did is that they took market in their hands since 1988... And their shit is being bu millions of people! But this shouldn't continue anymore...
  • Considering the Chairman of Microsoft Mr Bill Gates is the worlds richest man i dont see Microsoft which has to be probably one of the richest companies in the world dying out in 5 years. As fish said 90% of the worlds computers use Windows as their operating system and many people will not want to change to some operating system coded by 3 people in their bedrooms which is difficult to use they will want to stick with the OS they know.

I can see 20 years from now seeing Windows 2024 being released using Intel's new Neutronium based Processor at 1000 GHZ :D

Richard
  • intel will slowly die out when people realise AMD are better :P