My P1's bios

edited October 2004 in Hardware
while copy files to the once portable drive I was also clearing junk off the drive the pentium 1 currently has. I stumbled upon a text file that was made when I tried to go abouts getting a bios update long ago. It has an
BIOS Date: 10/09/97
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
and I have this chipset
BIOS ID: 10/09/97-i430TX,ITE8680-2A59IH2HC
OEM Sign-On: (569WIQ07) Intel i430TX PCIset(TM)

does anyone know where I can get the update for it? I tried their site long ago and they wanted me to call a technical representative... so I stopped pursuing it any further. I googled around and found some files from bios-drivers.com (part of driverguide.com). They have some listing the correct bios name, but some list a different newer chipset and was wondering if these updates are also chipset dependent. Although a bios update isn't really needed... might as well see what new features I can get.

Comments

• who makes the mobo?
  • Oh heh... I kept looking and I think I might have found what I needed. The mobo is a shuttle 569, I found some website (don't remember the url, on the mini at the moment) that had an updated bios, and then I downloaded the award flasher and the bootdisk esupport had (just a simple freedos disk). I'll see what happens after my drives finish defragmenting.
  • FreeDOS seems to be the OS of choice for flashdisks.

Speaking of which, I ought to see if there's a new BIOS for me board.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    FreeDOS seems to be the OS of choice for flashdisks.

Speaking of which, I ought to see if there's a new BIOS for me board.

-Q

i dont use bootdisks on my mobo. I either A) do it from windows or B) do it from the bios itself.

Although the ASUS mobo cd, if u boot from it, uses freedos.
  • Be aware! Doing it from Windows is very dangerous, cuz you cannot predict when it will halt... :)
  • ive never had any problems with flashing whilst in windows...
  • I prefer to do it with a bootdisk, I'm just scared that something in Windows will screw
  • im scared of doing it full stop, well at least on my laptop, cos on my athlon i could pickup a new mobo relatively cheaply.......

i think the 240 went out of production in late 1999...
  • Q wrote:
    I prefer to do it with a bootdisk, I'm just scared that something in Windows will screw
  • through the BIOS is dodgy, cuz it involves floppy disks, ive never had a floppy disk that worked
  • Q wrote:
    I prefer to do it with a bootdisk, I'm just scared that something in Windows will screw
  • I really should attempt to see what board is in my P4...
  • Don't you know that??
    As for me, I always keep my tower opened...
  • heh, my mini and pentium are always case free. I use CPUz from www.cpuid.com for some quick and simple cpu/ram/chipset/mobo info. That program should help you figure out what the mobo is.
  • my ex used to keep one side off her tower to keep it cool
  • Maybe someone like Fish knows why my tower is always open...
    Because I use a cooler from Celeron 300 on mine Celeron 1100, and CPU temperature is sometimes >60*C
  • Generally you'll get far better airflow with it closed, especially if you have multiple fans in the back... but you SERIOUSLY need to buy the proper heatsink for that CPU... Intels slow down as they get hotter to keep them from overheating, which explains why windows doesnt work on your computer, its overheating dude. Im 53*C, full load, proper cooling, AND its an AMD, and AMDs run MUCH hotter than Intels.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yeah, Intel's clock speeds are higher and require more voltage and power to operate, thus causing them to generate far more heat then the lower speed amd processors.
  • alright so I put the award flasher on the boot disk, and it turns on, but I told it to flash the file I found and it said unknown flash type... so I guess it wasn't the right file. It managed to make a backup of the current bios but I still need to find a newer bios flash....
  • Hmm... if so... are you sure that was the right file?
  • sigh.... I used awards flasher from their site.... maybe I'll ask them for the correct one and hope calling the representative doesn't imply giving a credit card # (as I don't have one)
  • i think you have to get the flasher from the mobo makers site.
  • Hey if you have a programmator you can try flashing it by connecting a programmator into COM port.
    But I doubt you have it...
  • uh... I will assume you mean a rom flasher. No I do not have one. I used this site http://users.erols.com/chare/569_bios.htm
    the second time, and the bios download from here comes with a flasher, which is smaller in file size compared to the one from awards site. I tried this one, it gave an error message saying "this is not Award BIOS !" When in fact the bios and the update file... are award...
  • LOL are you sure that your board is a HOT 569, its not listed on the board page

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/downl ... d_mb_o.asp
  • I know... it's skipped by on shuttles page... I will go hunting on the mobo for the physical proof... but all my evidence so far supports the theory that it is... what I think it is.
  • uh... I will assume you mean a rom flasher. No I do not have one. I used this site http://users.erols.com/chare/569_bios.htm
    the second time, and the bios download from here comes with a flasher, which is smaller in file size compared to the one from awards site. I tried this one, it gave an error message saying "this is not Award BIOS !" When in fact the bios and the update file... are award...
    Hey I advice you not to do anything then, cuz you may let your BIOS die, die forever. That's dangerous.
    Better get a ROM flasher from some friends, I think they should have it.