My P1's bios

2»

Comments

• hrm... friends.... nearby... who know anything about computers.... nope none of those people in sight....
  • I think he means get it from a trusted source. Using something untrustable that changes what is probably one of the most vital, soft-modifiable, parts of your machine is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen.

Try from a MB manufacturers site or something...

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    It's easy to fix a mis-flashed BIOS.
    Yea, but sometimes when your BIOS is totally corrupted it's the only chance to use flash programmator.
  • It's still annoying, as I remember when I narrowly avoided screwing BlacII.1s.

-Q
  • I don't know if my motherboard is new enough for that....
  • LOL
    Mang, it involves connecting wires straight to the chip and flashing it with another comp or something. It's not a software flashing, it's straight down to the hardware.

Either that or I misunderstood the whole thing, you're still talking about flashing it software. But with my laptop, once the thing is flashed, it reboots automatically, no second chances. You gotta go hardware if you misflash it. Dunno how it is on regular mobos/comps, as I only upped my BIOS once on an old CUV4X.
  • Oh. Yeah, if you can take your chip out. But apparently this is a P1's BIOS. Both my P60 and my P133 (which I owned about 6 years ago, and a couple of 486s since then) didn't have socketed BIOSes. They were soldered on. Hence.... I think the best way to fix them soldered BIOSes is to research chip specs, hook it up to your parallel port (or serial), and make an app to flash it like that. If you think it's cheaper and less time-consuming than just buying a new P1 mobo for $10 LOL
  • I didn't think the bios could just be pulled when the power was on... doesn't seem like a good idea to pull anything with the power on.
  • One my friend had to throw his motherboard into garbage after wrong bios patching... that's the fact...
  • He could not restore his BIOS after a serious corruption.