One disadvantage to Fall/Winter...

QQ
edited October 2004 in Hardware
...is that now the vent in behind the "Command Center"/BlacII.1 is now blowing WARM air, which makes this less comfortable and safe. While closing it presents a partial solution, it's still a reason to look forward to the short to mid term future...

-Q

Comments

• Hey I can name some advantages... it's cold in the room in Autumn, Winter, so I have no problems with CPU cooling...
  • Around here we have good heating, so that's a disadvantage. BUT, I can open the window and have excess cooling, true!

-Q
  • Russia heating sucks! What's the temperature in your room in Winter?
  • Well, mine is like 14*C when on the street is -35*C...
  • ~70-80F

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    ~70-80F

-Q
    Hell what's that in Celsius?? And what's the weather on the street in winter?
  • C = 5/9(F - 32) (Or as I do it, .5(F - 32)) so...

~19-24C and outside it's anywhere from low 60s (14C) to well below 0 (-16C).

-Q
  • Well, mmm... It's very HOT I can say...
    Here the highest temp. in winter is -20*C...
    The lowest once was -56*C! It was very freezing! It was impossible to go outdoors!
  • I don't know how low we've gotten, I think maybe around ~-30s (~-31C) or 40s (-47C) @ the MOST. But then again, I don't live between tundra and steppe ;)

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    But then again, I don't live between tundra and steppe
    HaHa!! But I do...!
  • Exactly, and you enjoy all the requisite disadvantages and advantages (If there are any...).

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    ...is that now the vent in behind the "Command Center"/BlacII.1 is now blowing WARM air, which makes this less comfortable and safe. While closing it presents a partial solution, it's still a reason to look forward to the short to mid term future...

-Q

BUT... the fans in the back blow out, not in, so it shouldnt be taking hot air in from there, it shold take it in from the sides and front. LUCKILY, my systems against an uninsulated wall, so its always icy next to it.... BUT we did turn the heat on this morning, but theres stuff covering my vent.
  • I use my computer as a room heater in the winter. It works really well. ;)
  • James Babb wrote:
    I use my computer as a room heater in the winter. It works really well. ;)
    Yeah, me too... in my cold room I like to sit closer to my machine...
  • my laptop makes a great electric blanket...
  • We have electric heat, and the heaters are on the baseboards so they're away from the computer etc.

Our house is usually around 18C - 20C, we can control it in each room, my room is like 24C, but the rest of the house is 20C.

~Duff
  • My house is normally like 22*C in the day, 15*C at night, but my computer keeps my room no lower than 18*...

Thank you AMD :D
  • My house is normally like 22*C in the day, 15*C at night, but my computer keeps my room no lower than 18*...Thank you AMD :D
    I've always knew that AMDs are great and always liked them.
    I guess you have an excellent cooling fan. Unlike mine from Celeron 300 used on Celeron 1100... My temp. is often 60*C!
  • I used to use my IBM monitor as a source of heat... that thing got pretty hot. My dell is in a relatively enclosed area (find my picture of it somewhere in the many pages of random crap). I've noticed it gets rather warm in the back when the heater is on, and the fact that one of the fans blow warm out, yet the cpu's fan blows air in I think. So.... the one blowing air in is taking all the warm air from the heater and other fan... and blowing it right at the cpu... oh no.... should do something about that.... no wait, still under warrenty let it fry.
  • I find that turning on 2 computers on at the same time can haet a small room quickly, especially when heater systems fail ;)
  • I love cold rooms.
  • Cold is good, when you can sit infront of a fire, get loads of covers and sleep under them, or do both!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Cold is good, when you can sit infront of a fire, get loads of covers and sleep under them, or do both!

-Q

YOU HAVE A FIREPLACE?!
  • Yea, it's downstairs, remember? Near the UFATC 'phone.

-Q
  • OH YEA... all the way down there...
  • fireplace = ownage lol

great for burning unwanted hw lmao
  • Ive got a gas fireplace... it puts out TONS of heat, since theres no heat going outdoors... No chimney, no vent, nothing.... None needed.
  • Worst disadvantage to fall/winter is the insanely strong wind + snow + -27C. Biking to school in that....
  • varuvaru wrote:
    Worst disadvantage to fall/winter is the insanely strong wind + snow + -27C. Biking to school in that....

So dont bike to school.

...-27? WTF?
  • Yeah. Canada.
    And I have to bike to school. There's no other way. To take the bus costs me $2.50 and I gain 5 minutes...
    It takes me 20 mins to walk to school, around 7 to bike to school, and 15 with the bus. To take the bus... 5 minutes to walk to the bus station. Wait for the bus. Then another 5 minutes from the other bus station to my school. Rather than do that, I'd rather walk or bike. Better bike, get out of the cold faster. Except... it's friggin winter, that asshole of a wind gets right down into your bones.