I flashed my BIOS!

RNRN
edited October 2004 in Hardware
I flashed my BIOS! YAY! 1st time it was ever successful! 1-2 now!

Comments

• But... the temp just decreased by 1*C. 49 to 48...
  • 48*C isnt near hot.... Ive seen my CPU hit 65*C before, and its fine.
  • I flashed my first BIOS a few months ago, with my new custom boot logo!

Yea, 48C isn't anywhere worrying area, mine average 50 - 55, spiking to 65C sometimes.

~Duff
  • My laptop's at 58 now, so no sweat.
  • My CPU is 60 now... and it still works good, even it's not AMD.
  • 50*C now, 100% load, been that way all night.
  • Hey Fish why do u have always 100% load?
    Mine is always like 15-20%
  • He's always at 100% load cuz of the server, and SETI@home and a couple other things?
  • The forum, et al. probably takes alot, and SETi the rest.

-Q
  • The forum makes 100% spikes alot, but SETI@home uses all thats left. Ill get screenshots of with it running, and without it running in taskmanager.
  • SETI@home running:
    srunning.png

SETI@home closed:
    sclosed.png
  • I see it wasn't very heave usage. When like, everyone is on the boards, is it even possible to use the system?

-Q
  • Very easily... I dont even notice it unless Im watching a movie, and I get a lower framerate for a second.. But I dont even NOTICE it in games.
  • Hey why SETI@home always loads your CPU to 100%, not depending on what kind of CPU you use?
  • It replaces the System Idle Proccess with its own, and uses that to do calculations on workunits. It runs a "Low" priority, so when something else needs the processing power, it will just slow down and let that process use it.

You should install something like a "Work unit server" on your machine, download ~500 units @ a time, have everyone install it, and have Team "OpnNetwk".

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It replaces the System Idle Proccess with its own, and uses that to do calculations on workunits. It runs a "Low" priority, so when something else needs the processing power, it will just slow down and let that process use it.

You should install something like a "Work unit server" on your machine, download ~500 units @ a time, have everyone install it, and have Team "OpnNetwk".

-Q

SETI@home would KILL his under-cooled CPU...
  • So open the window @ night and run it before you go to bed.

OR just use it as a WUS

OR Use MBM5 + The Spy...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    OR Use MBM5 + The Spy...

-Q

I did, i set it to stop at 65*C.... it didnt stop :|
  • That's cause you're running it as a svc, and the Spy doesn't know how to stop a service, the procedure is different.

-Q
  • No, it was before the service... I just started running it as a service YESTERDAY. It was the command line at the time, then I moved to the GUI and would just exit it I thought it would get really hot.
  • Something wasn't right there... I still think that Team OpnNetwk would be fun there. Maybe if he ran it only as a work unit dispensing server, if that's possible...

-Q
  • Maybe he could keep a PC outside with SETI on it!
  • Well anyway I think that he should think about it, maybe others in OpnNetwk have better machines?

-Q
  • Haha. My CPU got as cool as 42*C!!!!
  • Q wrote:
    Well anyway I think that he should think about it, maybe others in OpnNetwk have better machines?

-Q
    The best machine is FrosT's... it's Celeron 2200/512MB Ram/80Gb HDD/ GeForce4MX440... mine machine is second.
    Others are even worse than mine.
  • As bad as Nemo's?
  • Yea, one guy has even i486DX4-100MHz, but 128Mb of RAM and 10Gb HDD...
  • 128MB ram in a 486? :eek: jheez
  • Yup, 4 SIMMS 32Mb each... LOL