$200 Dollar Computer - Just In Time For Christmas

edited December 2004 in Hardware
It disappeared for a long time. The cheapest complete computer
was $248 until now. It's back with Xandros for $200. Here's the link:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3380786&cat=179715&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A179715

Thump

Comments

• Last year those were only 159 or something, but I may buy one of those so I can try out a Sempron.
  • Wow, that's a cheap system. But the problem with cheap systems is that they don't leave room for expandability. You only have 1 PCI slot, but the AGP is nice.
  • Wow, that's a cheap system. But the problem with cheap systems is that they don't leave room for expandability. You only have 1 PCI slot, but the AGP is nice.

Walmart has the infoz wrong, my brothers system and my ex-system are both walmart ones, THREE PCI slots were in mine, 2 PCI 1 AGP in his
  • Last year those were only 159 or something, but I may buy one of those so I can try out a Sempron.
    No they were $200 for the ones that were running, I bought one the last
    two years in a row. There's one cheaper but it's not complete, it doesn't have a hard drive or CD drive.

I don't know if it's expandable or not but it's not one you would want
    to spend a lot of money on anyway. The one I bought last year is still
    running fine and so's the one I bought the year before. I put Windows
    98SE on the oldest one and gave it to my mother last year and I've got
    Windows XP Home and Windows 98 on the newest one I have. I did
    add some old ram I had.

Thump
  • NICE Cheap desktop.... I hope I can get $200 by Christmas :\.
  • Yeah... for 200 I would buy a cheap desktop like that for my room, but then what would I do with my mini....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... 0%3A165897

take a look at that laptop, not bad... I've been wanting a laptop for a while now, if it's stats are right, the ram can get an easy upgrade.
  • Wow, I never heard of Xandros. I remember in '02 Walmart introduced the $159 or $199 PC system with Lindows 2.0 on it I think.
  • xandros is on linuxes site....... i might look into this "xandros"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OK OK... i really want to say this... I don't hate Linux or anything but Tom, its not a funny thing... its the RIGHT THING.
  • Where did you get that info from?

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    The funny thing is 90% format the drive as soon as they use these computers for a bit and put Windows on, because no one wants to deal with Linux.
    Haha, I'm 100% certain I'd format it right away.
  • I'd format ANY computer I got that had an OEM OS install, Linux or otherwise.

-Q
  • Oh,... we never buy a complete computer here...
    We get it in parts. IMHO that's better.
  • I want to build a computer from parts... someday I shall. There won't be one scrap of OEM anywhere.
  • its easier than it sounds....
  • Its like playing with legos.
  • edited November 2004
    Slash wrote:
    Oh,... we never buy a complete computer here...
    We get it in parts. IMHO that's better.
    Of course it's better Slash but here it's more expensive to buy the
    parts separately than it is to buy the complete machine.
    I bet you can't build a new machine for USD$200.
    Thump

____

That's.. a deal...
  • the hardest part was getting the fan and heatsink on the processsor and pluggin in the LEDs
  • IMHO Lindows 2.0 was holy crap. Lindows 4.0 isn't much better.
    And yes, Russians do not know what is OEM...
  • Slash wrote:
    And yes, Russians do not know what is OEM...
    well... http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html
    It stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically anyone who slaps a label on a computer system. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.

And yeah, I know building my own system isn't hard... the hard part is getting the money to buy the parts.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Yeah, it's like playing with Lego, until your noob-ass tries putting on a heatsink, crushes the core on your shiny new XP 2800+, then whines that the heatsink sucked. :)

not something im planning to do LOL
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Yeah, it's like playing with Lego, until your noob-ass tries putting on a heatsink, crushes the core on your shiny new XP 2800+, then whines that the heatsink sucked. :)

BTW, this isn't directed at anyone in general. Just the general audience of the board. LOL

I haven't done that yet. LOL
  • I don't think anyone here's done that yet, unless you're speaking from personal experience :wink:

-Q
  • ^ ive done that once, but i never damaged the cpu ;) that heatsink was like welded on there lol