Partitioning program

I am looking for a partitioning program and want some suggestions on a good one to get. I want a cheaper one preferably or a free one if possible.

Comments

• Yup. FDISK.
  • i used ranish partition manager for a while but windows did not like the way i had extended partitions with that.
    or you can use gnu parted on a knoppix live cd.
    I hate FuckinDSK! 1 primary and 1 extended and thats all you can get. its old and All MBR's can support 3 primary and 1 extended. fdisk is just restricting you,
  • use windows NT/2000/XP setup disk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • for once i agree with tomchu ^_~

Partition Magic ownz
  • condef sed free or cheap, and p'magic is by no means cheap
  • it is free when its hacked ^_~
  • BlueSun wrote:
    it is free when its hacked ^_~

ConDef believes that cracking software / using serialz you dont own is stealing :P
  • well then hes missing out...
  • ConDef, want the 2 partation magic floppies?

you dont get the full windows version, but you get the 2 bootable floppies that let you do what the program can do.
  • Got Knoppix? I forget what the included program is called (qtparted maybe?), but it's pretty close to PartitionMagic. cfdisk (slackware install disk) works if you don't need anyting majorly complex.
  • Thanks for all the info guys. I am wanting to resize my hd cause I was thinking about running 98se but I realized all I have to do is get a case for my 433 celeron and I can play my old games.
  • I can suggest PartitionStar or DrakX for Linux.
  • PartitionMagic comes to mind, but there are other utilites that let you expand existing partitions.

-Q
  • PartitionMagic is so damn huuge for such a small task like expanding partitions.
  • Start with fdisk and set the size of the partitions first if you can.
    Windows does like it better expecially Windows 9/me.
    Then I would use Partition Magic and I wouldn't install it, I'd get the
    floppys from someone who had. If this causes you an ethics
    problem then use reuel's boot disk with a text based "Partition Magic"
    that's a little harder to work or just let the OS you are installing
    format the partition to whatever it needs. Reuel's boot disk is
    available somewhere on the net or I have a copy. I also have
    something you might want to use instead.
    Thump

PS: I forgot about bootit. It's available as a 30 day trial and I don't
    know for sure but I believe it really works. {The Partition Magic
    trial doesn't.}. It can do much more than Partition Magic with just
    one floppy. It's very complicated though so try it at your own risk.
  • The 30 day trial, that is if you install the boot loader. I use boot it ng, great program to have, just bypass the install of the bootloader, and then find your way to the partition table
  • I know the partitioning program that you can run when MBR is loaded!
    It's System Commander.
    Get it on http://fosi.ural.net
    Thanks to Thump!
  • The 30 day trial, that is if you install the boot loader. I use boot it ng, great program to have, just bypass the install of the bootloader, and then find your way to the partition table
    Yeah, I wanted to have some bootloader so I could have every windows OS I had at the time fit on a hard drive (in their own paritions so they don't rape eachother). I liked BootIt NG's gui, but I couldn't get a serial for it... I also tried Partition Boot Manager, it was heavily dos like but also got the job done, but again, no serial.
  • Oh yeah, now that my file server has 98se, I can use my copy of system commander to resize the partition.
    I just remember that ::roll:
  • Ewww 98 on a server! Use NT4 or 2000 Pro!
  • 2K rocks... NT4 is OK too but they are both MUCH more stable and capible of running a server than 98se could
  • XP would run a good one too :P
  • The reason I am using 98se is cause of compatability. I want to play my old games that my newer and way to fast computer cannot. Since XP is based off the NT kernal I can't play some games cause they will not work in nt and they think XP is NT. I will dual boot if I get a bigger hd.
  • condef thats what compatiblity mode is for... i have a few games like that, i run them in compatibility mode for windows 95 and it works great..... though somtimes it doesn't help at all
  • 2000!

-Q