Macintosh System 9 or 10 on a PC?

edited February 2007 in Software
Hello! I have a HP Pentium 4 HT 3.02 Ghz and I want to know if I can put Mac OS X or 9 on it. Is there a program to do this or is it not possible? Thank You very Much!

Lynne

Comments

• Short answer: no.

Long answer: no not natievly. See, Apple runs on the Power PC architure. so, macos wont run on pc hardware which is x86

Its the same way with Windows, only works on x86, well, early versions of NT (3, 4) were ported to other platforums, like powerpc, but never worked on a mac bios.

You could use pearpc, but its slow as hell.
  • Yea, Tofers right. If you want to play with MacOSes without getting a Mac (For whatver reason), you could get BasiliskII and have MacOS 8.1, but any newer System versions you really need a Mac to run.

-Q
  • Use a MAC emulator, there are a lot of them.
  • Wasn't that just said?

Baslisk II JET makes a better 68K emulater that runs a 68K @ 100MHz. Might not run any better than BII though (becuase the Motarolla is such a different achitecture)

PearPC is slow as fuck, so don't bother.

PS: MAC = Media Access Contral. Mac = Macintosh ;-)
  • Really? I have regular BII and I thought it ran at full speed (1.6 ghz)...
  • Basilisk II only emulates a 68K that speed depends on your ROM.

I used a Quadra 650 which ran at 33MHz. It was only emulating at 33MHz, not the full speed of the host machine.
  • Steve wrote:
    Basilisk II only emulates a 68K that speed depends on your ROM.

I used a Quadra 650 which ran at 33MHz. It was only emulating at 33MHz, not the full speed of the host machine.
    I was thinking the same.
  • You can try Darwin... Its an opensource OS based on the OSX kernel for the X86 platform. Try.

http://www.opendarwin.org

//Mr.Mac
  • Actually, OSX is based on Darwin.

Darwin = UNIX = :-)
    OSX = what in gods name is this shit = (fail)
  • Steve wrote:
    PS: MAC = Media Access Contral. Mac = Macintosh ;-)

Yea we all know that.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, only based on BSD. I don't think there's a true UNIX avilable today, just bunch of UNIX like OS's.
  • edited November 2004
    UNIX : Linux

as to

Windows : Windes

When you said cheap remake of the feel, I thought of that.
  • english = american LOL

EDIT: the language i mean
  • It's called "American English"
  • en-US and en-GB. There.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Linux is not. Linux is just a cheap re-make to "look and feel" like a UNIX OS.

Linux is not a cheap remake of UNIX. Linux is a clone. Get your facts straight before posting.
  • Linux is some hackjob OS that tries to act and look like UNIX.

Far from a clone.
  • I would like to rephrase that: Linux is the kernel. A GNU/Linux distribution, at least on the command line, works similarly to UNIX. And Steve, a hack job tends to not work. Linux works very well, and acts at least partially like UNIX. I'm not saying that Linux is a clone that is fully compatible with Unix (like ReactOS and Windows NT). I'm saying that Linux is a very similar OS, written because Torvalds was dissatisfied with DOS and couldn't afford Unix or BSD. And keep in mind HE ONLY WROTE THE KERNEL and it was added on to by others. A modern distro is a bunch of software brought together to work with that kernel that one man could not write all by himself.
  • There is actually a possibility to run Mac OS X in Windows. Check out:

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

You will need some skill, though.
  • Hi! I want to emulate too. Which ROM would work the fastest? I had a Quadra ROM, but does anyone have the fastest ROM?

ROM= Read Only Memory ;)
  • Quadra were among the fastest 680x0 Macs, IIRC. Or, you could hack the source to emulate at full speed (OMG! a 1.6GHz Quadra!), but timing would be a bitch.
  • how whould I do that?
  • You can get a craecked version of Mac OS X,Chinese people are crazy,they have made so many stuffs like that,u can download the Mac OS X cracked version from the Internet
  • You are about... mmmm 3 years off :|