w000t! I flashed my DVDRW drive!

edited January 2005 in Hardware
I was looking around yesterday to see which formats my DVDRW notebook drive supports, and I found out that it would support Dual Layer DVD write @ 8x with another firmware, so I decided to take the risk and flashed the drive... And it worked! It supports DVD Dual Layer now! 9gb on 1 DVDR disc! w000t (woot)

dvddual.JPG

Comments

• *applause*
  • <G>! How did you upgrade it?

-Q
  • By using a unknown flashing tool and the firmware *.bin file.
    I'm planning to flash my cell phone as well :P
  • FlashingMadness should be your name.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    You flashed your firmware and ... this deserves a topic? LOL

If I created a thread for every time I flashed something, your forum would be unreadable.

This is the first time I ever flashed a DVDdrive. And I was pretty nervous because I didnt really know where the new firmware exactly came from.
  • well... congrats on getting support for dual layered. I plan to get a dvd burner sometime after xmas, and it may possibly be a dual layered one.
  • once i got DSL i realised that a CD-RW just dont cut it for backups LOL. DVD-RWs are getting really cheap now, i can get one for less than i paid for my CD-RW two years ago
  • A DVD+RW or dual format drive is best, DVD+RW discs can be read from by many dvd players, so you could burn dvds to them, watch them, then erase and reuse.
  • That's what I got for BlacIII! <G>! Good to know I made the right choice!

-Q
  • Rule for DVD-RW drive is "Dual layered DVD+RW or nothing!"
  • Congrats, MM!
    I've never flashed anything except BIOSes on PIs...
  • Yeah, I don't quite like the prices of dvd media altogether... I'd be really pissed if I wasted one.
  • I guess it's better to buy in bulk....
  • There is a copyright tax on rewritable and recordable CDs and DVDs here, thats why I dont buy cds that much, or I buy them in Germany. Its bullshit to pay copyright tax over my backups of my own digital photographs. It sort of ruins the point of having a digital camera.

A pack of 20 CDRs cost about
  • I can get 50 for about $15...then agin, they're not very high quality. Don't buy Memorex.
  • Buy HIVAL! Watch them flake apart!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Buy HIVAL! Watch them flake apart!

-Q

Either them, or Digital Research. The DR's were unusable in like 5 months, and I kept them in good conditions, either in my CD player or in my CD case. (fail)
  • hell DR is such a crap...
  • hey... I know this is a relatively dead topic, but I just got my DVD burner installed! What is the name of that program you guys were using to detect the things your drive can do? Skycache is down so I can't see any images...
  • yay that's Q!

Err... I can't find it...