Re: Building Computer

edited December 2004 in Hardware
Ok, I GOT THE PARTS TODAY!!! I built it in 1 1/2 hours too! And this is my first computer i built too. Now I am going to install Windows XP pro on it. The specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
768Mb RAM (512+256)
80GB HDD (seagate)
3 l;ite up fans (2 blowing out, 1 blowing in)
1 CPU Can w/ front controller (Now when I do SETI ot have heavy CPU usage, I can increase the fan speed at my findertips)

And more, pictures coming later :D

Comments

• Nice! Should of used a little bigger HD, but meh. 80GB does some stuff.
  • Yes, I am goinjg to stick a 120GB in there (from my main PC) the new PC is going to be my main pc
  • My total space on all my HDDs is ~340Gb
    That's not enough for me...
    I have 800Mb left...for now...
  • I got an 80GB, 160GB, and 2 10GB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • niice

i like the way some computer magazine said it takes 2 days to build a PC LOL i had mine on the net in 3hrs......
  • 2 days? that include buying parts LOL

Maby for a newbie, but it shouldn't take more than a few hours.
  • The buiding part of the computer was... well, striht=foward, Of course I had to use the boks, and really, the mobo manual covered everything else the other manuals did. My List was:

-Install Mobo
    -Hook up the Power Switch, Reset Switch, the 2 LEDS in the front
    -Hook up front audio/usb
    -Install CPU / Install HeatSink/Fan (The thermal stuff went on fine and none got on the connectors or anyhting like that, thank goodness)
    -INstall CPU FAn controller Unit (goes into a 3.25in bay, controls cpu fan speed) and hooked up the cpu fan wires
    -Hook up CDR/w and DVD-ROM drives and connected wires
    -Hook up Floppy Drive
    -Hook up HDD
    -Put in fans
    -Put in liughts

Put in vid card

Whew, and I did alot of other stuff too, these are just the main parts

And the ECS Mobo works GREAT! No probs at all... so far
  • Tomchu wrote:
    S754 or S939?

He's probably using S754
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think that's what I've got, but I don't know for sure.

-Q
  • did u put the mobo in the case first? i found it easier to get the RAM and CPU + fan in when they werent in the case
  • I add all the stuff when it's outside, getting the fan on a A64 practically requires you do it when the board is on the table.

-Q
  • I put the mobo first, and found it very easy (I just tilt the computer on its side so instead of it being like | it is __

What is the S754 or S939 business? IDK what you goys are talking about....
  • The Socket type.

-Q

PS. I guess you added the retention frame and then added the rest in later?
  • Oh, I have the S754 then

Now what is a reetention frame? If it holds the proc and heatsink, then that was already put in w/ the mobo at the manfacture
  • It's the thing that's metal on the bottom of the board and you (I think) clip the plastic lever on the heatsink to it.

-Q
  • Oh, then that was already attached
  • OK, when I built mine it wasn't so I had to add it myself and that kindof requires you do it before it's mounted.

-Q
  • We can say Socket 754 is 'dying' out.
  • Yeah, but it was all that the budget allowed (i was the one who picked out the parts, and it was a TIIIIGGGHTTT budget.)

I just wanted to see him get an a64 system tho.
  • What was the total again?
  • Ummm TcH altered it slightly and added optional parts, i believe under 600 dollars.

I orignally had it at ~500 dollars, 523.00 if i remember right.
  • yea $523 and then I added 256MB more RAM< and replaced the HDD with a biggger one and got some lights

The origional parts wouldve been

Same mobo/proc
    Same Case
    Same amt of fans
    Same CD R/w
    Same rounded cables
    Same heat sink
    Same vid card
    Same floppy drive

I added: 256MB More RAM, took out the 40GB hdd and got a 80GB for about $20 more, I had gotten a DVD-ROM drive, and 2 UV cathiode lights.
  • i dont think i ever used a manual for buiding a pc, oh well theres only soooo many places a part can go
  • a MANUAL for building a PC?!
    For how stupid people are they written!
    What can be a problen when boulding a PC? I dunno.
    Exactly I've never seen such manuals.
  • there are thousands of books websites and magazones about how to build a PC, hell i used a magazine aritcle as s guide when i built mine, as i didnt really want to mess up, PC components arent cheap
  • I've never used a manual... But I love reading them. :D
  • Sometimes they're really hilarious.

-Q
  • and state the obvoius

like if it dont fit, turn it round