Grrrr @ XP

edited December 2004 in Software
[12:04am] <+FishNET> this is gay as hell
[12:04am] <+FishNET> ok, maybe someone here can tellme what to do
[12:04am] <+FishNET> earlier, i was changing icons to tons of windows things
[12:04am] <+FishNET> like folders, etc
[12:04am] <+FishNET> and i changed like, default folder icons
[12:05am] <+FishNET> but then i somehow got the default option on folders to be search, instead of open or whatever it previously was
[12:05am] <+FishNET> so when i went to fix that, the option "open" was missing totally, so i added it
[12:05am] <+FishNET> then set it as default... BUT now it opens NEW folders
[12:05am] <+FishNET> like
[12:05am] <+FishNET> every folder in a new window
[12:06am] <+FishNET> is there *ANY* way to make it so its IE style... loading in the same window, or am i screwed?

Comments

• reformat is the cure to everything
  • when in dought...install a clean install of windows. but dont reformat, so now you have all your data, but you have 2 installs of windows, and one you have to install all your apps on.
  • No, no reformat. I can just deal with this is noone figures it out.
  • Did you look @ Folder Options > Browse Folders?

-Q
  • no-one can just reinstall these days because all new computers come with the OSs preinstalled and no installation cd (all the files from the cd are on your hd), not much good if it gets fucked up though. also, recovery disks just reformat and reinstall, so they're not much good. if you upgraded xp from a previous os, just uninstall xp, then install it again (if you haven't already)
  • Q wrote:
    Did you look @ Folder Options > Browse Folders?

-Q
    once i was messing with file associations and crap (ASSOC and FTYPE from the command line), and my folders did a similar thing. i just used system restore and it worked (for me)
  • A. I don't know if/think that Fish uses system restore.

B. Noone here (Alright, I don't know that for a fact, but I DO know Fish doesn't) have/use OEM OS installs, we've all reinstalled our OS several times and so have real install media.

-Q
  • If this happened to your folders, it most likely happened to yuor drive folders. You shouldn't try to change icons through the Folder Options control panel. You should get an icon changing program like ActivIcons in which you can get at cursorarts.com. This program lets you change all sorts of icons. As for fixing your problem Fish, I would recommend re-installing your OS.
  • I probably don't understand 'cause it couldn't be
    this simple.
    Start>Settings>Control Panel
    Click Tools and then Folder Options, under General, click the radio
    button beside:
    Open each folder in the same window

I expect that's not it 'cause it's too simple

Thump
  • I don't know. I have the same problem, and setting it to a single window doesn't work. Actually, I tried to remedy it by adding a new default action, but screwed up the arguments and explorer gets pissy.
  • None of this worked :-|

I guess its just one of those things Ill learn to live with. Its not THAT bad to deal with, its just like re-living the past (Windows 95 )
  • Fish, try to go to "File Types", look there for a "Folder" or "File Folder" and click "restore".
    If not, do the following:
    Click "advanced" then add such stuff:
    Application used:
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L
    Use DDE
    DDE Msg: [ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)]
    Application: Folders
    Topic: AppProperties

Even better, do not use Explorer at all! Use Total Commander like I do. It's much easier and faster!
  • It doesn't work...it goes back to my non-working hack...
  • cant you just swich from classic folder views to views in the same folder - xp
  • That's not the issue.
  • Damn! Use DDE like I said! I had the same crap in 2k, after some icon changes, and it worked.
  • I tried using DDE, but it didn't work, and now I can't edit it.
  • omg you too?! this has been pissing me off for half a year now!!! i have no clue how i fucked it up but everything opens in a new window and i hate that! thats usually the first cusstimization thing i do in windows 95 is set it to browse in the same window...

i tried to change the icon through the file types thing.... which i know now was stupid to do.... anyways no its fucked up.....

I use E-Icons 98 to change the default icons for windows... its only supposed to be for 95/98 but works good for XP too

and Q i use a OEM install of XP cause it came on the dell and i don't have a copy of XP pro, but matt does i can always get it from him.... i need to reformat this hdd though..... too much crap leftover from shitty apps... can't find all the crap they left.... it'd be nice to use a clean install

EDIT: thanks slash! the command works great..... only explorer won't use it for default :( any suggestions?
  • ahh ok never mind..... i got it! thanks a million slash!!

now see theres the kinda inteligence most forums dont have!

thank you, thank you, thank you!! that has been driving me nuts for the past year!

thanks slash!!!!
  • You are welcome, but what you said? It's not by default?
    Click "Set default" button...
  • i did that, i had to add it to "file folder" file type.... i had only added to the "folder" file type..... so all i had to do was add it to "file folder" and click set as default..... works great!
  • Cool! Nice to help you!!
  • reformat is the cure to everything

I love reformatting.... every 10 months or so lol
  • I havent reformatted this XP machine in sooooo long.
  • Same here. Is there a way to tell when the OS was installed?

-Q
  • Q maybe look at the creation date of your windows folder

[C:\WINDOWS]

Created: Tuesday, May 20, 2003, 4:47:08 PM
  • Monday, October 04, 2004, 6:05:43 PM

Alright, seems like ages to me...

-Q
  • Well, mine is December,4
  • Mine was around August...
  • 13th novermber..... sounds right