MySQL noob guide

edited December 2004 in Software
A lot of people have asked me on how to setup a MySQL server in windows. As most of you know I have switched to Linux. I don't know every step so correct me if im wrong.

Step one.
Download MySQL from

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQ ... ql_mirror/

Step two.
Unzip it and rename the folder to MYSQL and place it into the root of your C:\ Drive.

Step three.
Go into C:\MYSQL\BIN and run the file called winmysqladmin.exe

Step four.
The basics are done, you might want to give a password to your root account some time. But untill then heres how you create a database with out using phpMyAdmin.

Go into the CMD window and use to following.

cd c:\mysql\bin
mysqladmin create <database>

<database> meaning the database name you want to use. So if you plan to use PHPBB then just tell the PHPBB installer to use your new database and it will do the rest.

Thats all toy need for a simple quick MySQL server. As long as you have phpMyAdmin set out of your WWWROOT you will be fine. If you want to use a remote connection to it then add a password to the root account. Just read the MySQL help for that.

Comments

• N00b guide to Apache, PHP5, MySQL, PureFTPD, and FreeBSD can be found at: http://www.insipid.2ya.com

Its my friends site (da FreeBSD king :P)

//Mr.Mac
  • Thanks for the n00b guide for FreeBSD..
    I've found something useful there
  • error 403
  • Arrg! ShortURI is sticking this annoying banner in the bottom now! Does WinWorld have that?! Looks like not...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Arrg! ShortURI is sticking this annoying banner in the bottom now! Does WinWorld have that?! Looks like not...

-Q

No it's not doing it for WinWorld... But it may in the future....
  • my shorturl does it
  • That's odd, I don't get it @ BODs site...

I guess WinWorld got in on them when the going was good!

-Q
  • Do dododododoDOdo ADBLOCK

-Q
  • dooo doo dodod *does the same*
  • Errr.... Why not get a a DNS or redirect off no-ip.org or dyndns.org :P
  • ive already got a dyanmic DNS fomr them
  • i knew this was old when i saw who it was written by lol
  • 29 Nov 2004 06:58 am

That's old? That's not even a week ago!

-Q
  • his tutorial wont work :P he hasnt installed or started the service
  • Well he did say that he didn't know every step. Care to post where/when/how ? I've never installed it myself so I don't know.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    29 Nov 2004 06:58 am

-Q

WTH? TCP lives?
  • Q wrote:
    29 Nov 2004 06:58 am

-Q
    The eff? I thought it said August lol, regardless, at the rate posts are going it is old lol
  • Yes i'm a live and the guide should work.
    his tutorial wont work Razz he hasnt installed or started the service

What do you mean by that? When you start the winmysqladmin.exe file it installs and starts the service. This is pretty much the same thing I used when I ran MySQL on my PC when I had windows.